Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: expungement and law school app  (Read 2298 times)

checkthemeaning

• View Profile
    • Email
expungement and law school app
« on: March 20, 2004, 12:48:03 AM »
I came to this board looking for advice with my criminal past. I have a misdemeanor drug parapanalia that has been expunged. When applying to law school, I did not disclose this information to schools that did not say "you must disclose expungement". I have been accepted to some of these law schools, but I am now thinking I might fail my character and fitness review during the bar exam if I don't disclose this info. do you know anything about applying to law school with an expungement?

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: expungement and law school app
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 02:52:51 AM »
Ya know, I dont know about you, but I asked the question about 'what needs to be disclosed' when it came to being punished for academic or behavioral infractions at University for infractions that got 'shelved' before they made it to student court, and arent on my transcripts, but might be still on paper somewhere. The advice I got, though I cant verify its veracity, seems sound.

'If it happened, tell them about it, especially if you didnt get caught cheating or doing something VASTLY wrong.  But if they find out about it later for WHATEVER reason, even if its no big deal, and they can show any irregularity in your disclosure, you can be denied entrance to the bar, or booted from it.  Odds of it happening are ultra slim, but it has been known to happen'

So I disclosed everything.  Even stupid stuff like getting written up for having girls in my room after hours... Hey if the question is 'were you ever disciplined'.... a write up is disciplinary action... plus, I personally would not want to be in the position of having to argue... 'they didnt specifically ask me if I got written up, and that it was let go because no second offense occurred within a year...

Having already made the statements, the problem you have is you are on record revealing your expunged record to some schools and not others, which makes it easier to find.  I think you need to more advice than I can provide.  But if you want my opinion, I wouldn't invest 150k in going to law school unless EVERYTHING was on the table... the stakes are too high.

jgruber

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004, 03:00:49 PM »
From what I've read you have it right.  If they find out later, it could be the end of a law career.

But there was that time in 4th grade...   :D

karenw911

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2004, 08:52:39 PM »
I came to this board looking for advice with my criminal past. I have a misdemeanor drug parapanalia that has been expunged. When applying to law school, I did not disclose this information to schools that did not say "you must disclose expungement". I have been accepted to some of these law schools, but I am now thinking I might fail my character and fitness review during the bar exam if I don't disclose this info. do you know anything about applying to law school with an expungement?

I would definitely contact the school(s) you decide on before you send your deposit. Explain the situation.  Tell them that you were not intentionally attempting to not disclose information - that you were providing them with the information that they requested.  It really depends on how each of the questions was worded as to how much they are going to hold against you. If the applications read something to the effect of "were you ever a defendant in any type of proceeding..." or "have you ever been convicted....." etc.  I would explain that you explain that you were maybe misled by the wording.

Funny thing is, if you're able to go back and look at law school applications for the same school over several years, it's interesting to see how the wording on those character and fitness questions change.  Next year's app may include the phrase "even if the record was expunged"...

Just my $.02.

Karen W.

checkthemeaning

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2004, 07:14:21 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I am writing them a letter and I am including court records and an explanation. I am also visiting the school for their pre-law day and hopefully I can speak with someone>

karenw911

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2004, 10:23:44 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I am writing them a letter and I am including court records and an explanation. I am also visiting the school for their pre-law day and hopefully I can speak with someone>

I think I would make an appointment ahead of time. Just let them know that you are going to be out there for their pre-law day and make an appointment with an admissions counselor.  My guess is that their pre-law is pretty hectic for the admissions staff and making arrangements in advance to speak with someone might be your best bet.

Karen W.