Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hamline or FCSL  (Read 2088 times)

Tegoyan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Hamline or FCSL
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 04:18:10 PM »
Thanks!!

Would it be worth it to apply to Florida International or Nova Southeastern??

I don't understand why you are applying to T4 Florida schools if you want to work in Minnesota or the mid-west. You want a 3 year vacation in Florida? :D I say Hamline. A 5k difference is minimal. 

You might be interested in this thread about Hamline:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24870

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 04:31:57 PM »
Not unless you want to end up in Florida (which is sounds like you don't). 

Yeah, what's with these Florida schools? Why not apply to some more midwestern schools?
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.

gbeard05

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 04:37:06 PM »
The weather does play a huge factor, i will not lie.  I was thinking that law school could be my 3 year break from the midwest- I have lived here all my life and wanted to experience something different for a bit.  Is going to law school in a different area too much of a risk?  Or should I stay in the midwest and just take long vacations?? ;D

gbeard05

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 04:40:02 PM »
Thanks a lot for that link.  I am new to this type of communication- is this a blog?  Anyways are there other websites I should be checking out for peoples opinions?

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 04:41:44 PM »
The weather does play a huge factor, i will not lie.  I was thinking that law school could be my 3 year break from the midwest- I have lived here all my life and wanted to experience something different for a bit.  Is going to law school in a different area too much of a risk?  Or should I stay in the midwest and just take long vacations?? ;D

TITCR, I think. It's really up to you. It is a big risk, ... if it's worth it to you, do it. Look into their career placement. Maybe FCSL (it's not FCLS?) really does have a strong connection to some midwestern market. It'd be surprising, but possible. Look into it and see how much of a risk it'd be. That might help you make a decision. If it still doesn't, visit the damn place. Being there may nudge you one way over the other.
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.

yoyodawg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 05:51:03 PM »
If you want to work in the Mid-west, then go to Hamline. It'll get you a job in Minnessota. FCSL will not. You'll even have a hard time getting a job in Florida coming out of Florida Coastal. The 15 grand difference over 3 years is NOT worth it. FCSL is a for-profit school and has a horrible reputation anywhere outside of Jacksonville. People transfer out of there faster than you can blink. Further, FCSL is not attached to a larger school wheras Hamile is. I'd also wager that Hamline has a descent rep in Minnessota.

If you want to work in the Mid-west, its a no brainer to choose Hamline.

jbakguy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 03:38:13 PM »
Hamline, If you donít go to a top school, you need to go to school where you want to work for at least a couple of years afterwords.

Gbeard, I am also looking at Hamline, what do you know about its reputation in the twin cities?  Iíve heard talk that Hamline is the school people make wisecracks about.

nikos13

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 04:53:56 PM »
Iíve heard talk that Hamline is the school people make wisecracks about.

It most certainly is. Granted, if you want to go solo or do PI or ID work, it's fine. But if you want to work for the best firms in Mpls or get a clerkship or something, Hamline is not the best choice.

From the other thread:

"Hamline is really not that great of a choice, even just for staying in Mpls. It's the 4th best school out of 4, with the corresponding job prospects, etc, that come with that status. If you're extremely intent on staying in MN, Hamline will get you by, but you certainly won't have a very good chance at the "top" jobs (salary, prestige, or otherwise). Retake the LSAT and try to get in to Mitchell or St. Thomas at least."

gbeard05

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 05:00:41 PM »
I have only heard positive things about Hamline around the Cities.  Sure people on this board will knock it because it is a 4th tier school, but they are usually so high off their own ego that they don't know any better.

I know many lawyers from Hamline and they all hold top positions where they work.  Whether it is a medium sized law firm or a national bank. 

yoyodawg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 05:22:44 PM »
Sure people on this board will knock it because it is a 4th tier school, but they are usually so high off their own ego that they don't know any better.

This is the most accurate thing that has ever been posted on this board. Seriously.

Most people who post here think that if you don't go to a top law school, you can't be successful. Yet the reason they think that is because most of them have been accepted to a top school, and they feel the need to boost their own limited ego at the expense of others. Probably because most of them were somewhat social outcasts to begin with, and now is their chance to be "cool."

On an internet discussion board no less.