Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hamline or FCSL  (Read 2158 times)

gbeard05

• View Profile
Hamline or FCSL
« on: February 12, 2008, 03:02:31 PM »
I am currently accepted at FCSL and Hamline and torn between the decision.  The schools I really want to get into- WVU, U Maine, and Marquette- I am waitlisted at.  So, I have to make a deposit at FCSL or Hamline coming up here.  I would really like some input on any aspect of both schools.  I am from MN and one attractive bit about FCSL is that it ISN'T in MN.  Also, is it REALLY that hard to go to a school in FL then find a job back in the midwest?  If I did well at one of the two schools is it (again) REALLY that hard to transfer to a T3 or top 100 school?

Any input is great, though I am aware that both are T4 schools and there is nothing I can do about it.

FCSL gave me a scholarship, Hamline did not.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Hamline or FCSL
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 03:12:49 PM »
So you don't want to go to school in MN, but you do want to work in the midwest? I really don't know how hard transferring from either of those schools would be.  I would say take FCSL because of the full-ride (and hope you keep it).  I don't know if you will be able to get a job outside of Florida, but atleast you won't have any debt.  Plus, having little/no debt will make it easier for you to look (and possibly move around) for a more ideal job in an ideal location.  Debt will tie you down quickly and make it difficult to move. 

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 03:45:23 PM »
I am currently accepted at FCSL and Hamline and torn between the decision.  The schools I really want to get into- WVU, U Maine, and Marquette- I am waitlisted at.  So, I have to make a deposit at FCSL or Hamline coming up here.  I would really like some input on any aspect of both schools.  I am from MN and one attractive bit about FCSL is that it ISN'T in MN.  Also, is it REALLY that hard to go to a school in FL then find a job back in the midwest?  If I did well at one of the two schools is it (again) REALLY that hard to transfer to a T3 or top 100 school?

Any input is great, though I am aware that both are T4 schools and there is nothing I can do about it.

FCSL gave me a scholarship, Hamline did not.

Okay, .. if you KNOW you want to be in Minnesota, Hamline will have better job prospects. How important is money? How big is the scholarship? Where are you leaning and why? What factors are most important to you?
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 03:47:25 PM »
So you don't want to go to school in MN, but you do want to work in the midwest? I really don't know how hard transferring from either of those schools would be.  I would say take FCSL because of the full-ride (and hope you keep it).  I don't know if you will be able to get a job outside of Florida, but atleast you won't have any debt.  Plus, having little/no debt will make it easier for you to look (and possibly move around) for a more ideal job in an ideal location.  Debt will tie you down quickly and make it difficult to move. 

It's a full ride??

gbeard05

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 03:52:11 PM »
Money is not very important, though cheaper is of course better.  The scholarship is 5,000 which makes FCSL about 5.5K cheaper than Hamline.  I really don't know which way I am leaning, FCSL scares me because of its size and what I have read.  I kind of plan on transferring to a T3 or even top 100 school if possible after my first year.  Factors important would be I want to work as a prosecutor after law school so job prospect. 

I guess just people's vote for either Hamline or FCSL would be best.  And why.  I am really hoping my waitlist schools come through then I wouldn't have to chose between the two- I'd go with the waitlist in a heartbeat.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 03:54:05 PM »
oh, sorry.  I thought you had said it was a full-ride. 

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 03:56:54 PM »
If you want to be a prosecutor (with a DAs office) then go to the school that is in the region you want to practice in.  That office will have more grads from that school and it will have a better reputation in that region.

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 04:07:25 PM »
Money is not very important, though cheaper is of course better.  The scholarship is 5,000 which makes FCSL about 5.5K cheaper than Hamline.  I really don't know which way I am leaning, FCSL scares me because of its size and what I have read.  I kind of plan on transferring to a T3 or even top 100 school if possible after my first year.  Factors important would be I want to work as a prosecutor after law school so job prospect. 

I guess just people's vote for either Hamline or FCSL would be best.  And why.  I am really hoping my waitlist schools come through then I wouldn't have to chose between the two- I'd go with the waitlist in a heartbeat.

Okay, then I vote Hamline. ... BUT not by much or anything. Hah.

gbeard05

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 04:10:44 PM »
Thanks!!

Would it be worth it to apply to Florida International or Nova Southeastern??

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 04:17:34 PM »
Not unless you want to end up in Florida (which is sounds like you don't).