Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What would it take to turn down T6?  (Read 1051 times)

cup

• View Profile
What would it take to turn down T6?
« on: February 12, 2008, 02:56:57 PM »
Interested to see if there are any scenarios out there that would make you give up a T6 acceptance.

I could see serious family/relocation problems making it tough.

cisforcookie

• View Profile
Re: What would it take to turn down T6?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 03:08:27 PM »
i'm not entirely sold on this thread not being a flame. in any case. i would happily take a free ride to _any_ school 7-14 over paying sticker price at the top 6.

this comes with a few caveats and explanations

1. i don't want to be a bitchboy for pepsicola, let alone make partner for my clever pepsicola connections

2. the only supreme court justice who I have the slightest respect for is JPS, and he'll probly be dead by the time I graduate

3. just talking tuition, 120k is a ton of money. that's several years living expenses if you wanted to go solo. it's half of a house from where i'm from.

4. i would really prefer not to attend duke or penn.

5. i think legal academia is something of a fraud. that would nag at my conscience.

Shark Week

• Sr. Citizen
  • officially a Michigan troll now
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 03:24:47 PM »
Darrow and family are enough for me.
Michigan '11

cisforcookie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 03:28:02 PM »
yeah, I get that. It just seems like a somewhat absurd question. There's going to be a ton of good reasons. If you really wanna be an ivory tower type, you probly should go to yale. But if your choice is columbia or nyu vs something else, I can imagine a whole lot of really good reasons to go with something else. Outside of academia type stuff that is hugely good-ol-boy driven, there's not really any difference at all between the top 14 that is going to matter as much as who you are and what you do with it.

my pepsicola joke was merely a reference to corporate law. I work for a huge corporate gorilla as it is, and they suck. I don't want to be their lawyer or lawyer for anyone like them.

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 03:42:07 PM »
I don't know, a bunch of stuff. Money at a T10 might do it.
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 03:51:04 PM »
Cisfor,
Unless considering academia, the T14 are pretty much the same?  Is the obsession with rankings a matter of people just dying to get to the next tier, or is there a legitimate advantage of spending the cash to live in NYC vs C'ville?  Just getting perspective.

C or N have a slight advantage over Virginia. But yeah, you're right, it's not THAT big of a deal, ... I don't think.

If you do well at either place, you're set.

If you're going to do "bad" at either place, ... you'll have some difficulty (though I bet you'll still find work)

If you're going to do fair at either place, you'll have a slight advantage coming from Columbia or NYU.

That's my impression. But what do I know. (answer: not much)

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 04:09:44 PM »
I will make this more specific.

To return to a major southeast market, is it a great advantage to go to a T14 over a T6?
Will you get more milage out of a Northeastern/Cali T6 school name, or will it hurt your "good ole boy" status?

Personally feeling external pressure, due to not having an "endless checkbook," to stay local T1 and am being told that all will work out.

Job prospects are a concern, especially if taking on hella debt, but what about the quality of education/life/peers at a T6?  Seems appealing.

Something tells me this isn't a hypothetical question. What are the schools in question, and where in the south do you hope to work?

Tegoyan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 04:13:48 PM »
I will make this more specific.

To return to a major southeast market, is it a great advantage to go to a T14 over a T6?
Will you get more milage out of a Northeastern/Cali T6 school name, or will it hurt your "good ole boy" status?

Personally feeling external pressure, due to not having an "endless checkbook," to stay local T1 and am being told that all will work out.

Job prospects are a concern, especially if taking on hella debt, but what about the quality of education/life/peers at a T6?  Seems appealing.

Something tells me this isn't a hypothetical question. What are the schools in question, and where in the south do you hope to work?

Yeah, me too. If there are specific schools and concerns in question, maybe you'd get better answers by revealing that information.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 04:18:18 PM »
HYS = go

CCN = entertain scholarships at slightly lower ranked schools closer to your home market.