Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Florida Coastal vs. Hamline  (Read 4889 times)

nikos13

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Florida Coastal vs. Hamline
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 01:25:45 PM »
Hamline is really not that great of a choice, even just for staying in Mpls. It's the 4th best school out of 4, with the corresponding job prospects, etc, that come with that status. If you're extremely intent on staying in MN, Hamline will get you by, but you certainly won't have a very good chance at the "top" jobs (salary, prestige, or otherwise). Retake the LSAT and try to get in to Mitchell or St. Thomas at least. Otherwise go to Florida, cause who really wants to stay up here in the cold anyways :)

yoyodawg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 03:15:16 PM »
If you wouldn't mind living in North Florida, I would recommend FCSL, the school has very good placement there. They also have a better program than most people on this board would make it seem (ex. they have the 2nd highest bar passage rate in the state of Florida, only behind UF). If you absolutely want to practice in Minnesota though, Hamline is DEFINITELY the way to go.

Actually, not to quibble with you, but FSU has had the highest first time taker's bar passage rate 5 out of the last 10 tests. And that's including last summer's bar passage rate. Its actually a common misconception that UF does the best on the bar, when in fact, they don't.

jalex519

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 05:41:09 PM »
If you wouldn't mind living in North Florida, I would recommend FCSL, the school has very good placement there. They also have a better program than most people on this board would make it seem (ex. they have the 2nd highest bar passage rate in the state of Florida, only behind UF). If you absolutely want to practice in Minnesota though, Hamline is DEFINITELY the way to go.

Actually, not to quibble with you, but FSU has had the highest first time taker's bar passage rate 5 out of the last 10 tests. And that's including last summer's bar passage rate. Its actually a common misconception that UF does the best on the bar, when in fact, they don't.

You're right, sorry about that, I was basing my comment from the following article that I had read a while back and I guess I remembered it wrong.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/102307/met_211058054.shtml
2L and counting...

CoupDeGlace

• Sr. Citizen
  • Les Canadiens sont l!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 06:52:31 PM »

Yeah, I was even wondering about that, because FSU has been mentioning that it's been first in 2 of the last 3 bar exams (2006 and 2007, Florida Coastal being 2005)

UF Law enjoys a lot of prestige simply because it's associated on the whole with UF, which is engrained in the Floridian consciousness as our own Harvard or whatever.

I wish we had someone from Jax who could comment on this school's placement there. All I know is that it doesn't place in Tampa. We don't even know it exists here, and there's so much competition for jobs from not only UF and FSU, but then Stetson. And you'd run into similar problems in markets such as Orlando and Miami. There are 10 law schools in Florida (I had no idea there were that many until I just read it), which is pretty high for our state. When you consider then even if you attended a top state university you're also competing with people that attend top schools out of state... I'd be wary of attending any school where your job prospects coming out were so narrow. If you want to practice in Jacksonville and maybe jalex can go into more detail for you about how Florida Coastal places, then it might not be that risky of a choice, but since I only will advise based off what I know, I'll just say choose with caution. 
UF 2011

jalex519

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 10:14:53 PM »

Yeah, I was even wondering about that, because FSU has been mentioning that it's been first in 2 of the last 3 bar exams (2006 and 2007, Florida Coastal being 2005)

UF Law enjoys a lot of prestige simply because it's associated on the whole with UF, which is engrained in the Floridian consciousness as our own Harvard or whatever.

I wish we had someone from Jax who could comment on this school's placement there. All I know is that it doesn't place in Tampa. We don't even know it exists here, and there's so much competition for jobs from not only UF and FSU, but then Stetson. And you'd run into similar problems in markets such as Orlando and Miami. There are 10 law schools in Florida (I had no idea there were that many until I just read it), which is pretty high for our state. When you consider then even if you attended a top state university you're also competing with people that attend top schools out of state... I'd be wary of attending any school where your job prospects coming out were so narrow. If you want to practice in Jacksonville and maybe jalex can go into more detail for you about how Florida Coastal places, then it might not be that risky of a choice, but since I only will advise based off what I know, I'll just say choose with caution. 

Funny you should say that because I am from Jacksonville actually, FCSL has a pretty good reputation within the city and decent placement. While Biglaw will be a stretch, I did find some people who had made it, I would say the majority of graduates end up in Small to Midlaw or working for the government. Here are some examples of successful alumni that I found when I was researching the school a few months ago (Holland & Knight is a pretty well respected V100 firm that has a strong presence in Florida and participates in FCSL's OCIs) and an example of a couple alums who started their own firm:

http://www.hklaw.com/id77/biosKLDEGANC/
http://www.hklaw.com/id77/biosRERIVA/
http://www.jmnewman.com/index.html

Don't get me wrong though, you will still face strong competition for the more prestigious positions in Jacksonville:

http://www.hklaw.com/id77/biosZRPOTTER/

...not to mention the many UF & FSU grads that will be out looking for jobs in the region.
2L and counting...

Phineas

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 06:16:26 PM »
both schools are in a good position to jump into the 3rd tier over the next few years, gbeard. you have that going for you in your future if you choose these locations to pursue your legal career. however, and this is important- it would be much more beneficial to your JD if you attended one of the those other schools you listed, simply because of the ranking system and the way it's constructed.

if we knew your numbers, we could help you a little more,

Outside of the top 14, rankings no longer matter.  Do not go to a law school in a region where you couldn't see yourself working for years after you graduate.  To do so would be an enormous mistake.  If one is wanting to practice in the Midwest, it might be a good idea to GO TO SCHOOL in the Midwest.  I didn't think it was that difficult. 

CTX4258

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 06:25:59 PM »
To OP,
   I am from MN as well and have been accepted at Hamline, WMCL, and FCSL.  Hit me back
155/2.78  Soft Factor: ADHD / Full Disclosure