Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Sound of Silence  (Read 2689 times)

anxshusmonkee

• View Profile
The Sound of Silence
« on: February 12, 2008, 11:05:32 AM »
I sent in my applications right after the December LSAT and have so far heard back good news from 3 schools and no news from anybody else. Is the current radio silence between me and the addmissions offices at the other schools indicative that only bad news will be forthcoming? From the websites of the various law schools it seems like one should expect to wait around 2 months/until April to hear back either way, but the discussion on this board (which seems to be verified by my experience thus far) is that it doesn't quite work that way. Thoughts?

Even though I am pretty much expecting bad news due to an abysmal LSAT score--and I'm already planning to take the LSAT again in June and hopefully doing better and taking a year out to apply again--the thought of not getting into any of the schools I want to attend is still really depressing. I know that's irrational, but it's true. It probably didn't help that my mother told me to "grow up" when I told her about this plan...

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
Re: The Sound of Silence
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 11:19:10 AM »
OMG. It is still SO early for you. Relax.

I had all my apps out in early October.... 18 weeks+ now.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

MorningLattes

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 11:20:45 AM »
I don't think you need to "grow up". The reality is that law school is a huge investment, I don't think you should throw your money at a school you won't be happy attending. Many people find the first years torturous, last thing you need is to be in an uninspiring environment.

If you're willing to take a year off and do some more serious studying to get to the place you want to be, then go for it. What do you really have to lose.  :)

p.s.: It's still REALLY early, so I wouldn't be freaking out too much. If apps are down then it makes sense that some schools are taking longer than others to decide.
:-D (in) Emory, UM, Villanova ($$)
:-( (out)
:-/ (wl) UPenn

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=MorningLattes

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 12:02:05 PM »
Now deloggio says apps are up, so BOOO

Petite Avocate

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 12:24:57 PM »
OMG. It is still SO early for you. Relax.

I had all my apps out in early October.... 18 weeks+ now.

Early September, here. I've heard back from 3/7. Relax, OP.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=LaPetiteAvocat
Yes, I know I've assigned myself the wrong gender on LSN. I apologize for offending the Francophones, but I'm not creating a whole new account to correct the error. Please stop leaving me messages.

LuvHurtz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 01:44:30 PM »
I don't think you need to "grow up". The reality is that law school is a huge investment, I don't think you should throw your money at a school you won't be happy attending. Many people find the first years torturous, last thing you need is to be in an uninspiring environment.

If you're willing to take a year off and do some more serious studying to get to the place you want to be, then go for it. What do you really have to lose.  :)

p.s.: It's still REALLY early, so I wouldn't be freaking out too much. If apps are down then it makes sense that some schools are taking longer than others to decide.

Thanks. I've been out of school for 5 years now, so I can sort of see my mom's point, but ultimately I definitely agree: it's better to wait if I'd be unhappy with my options. I just wish a year wasn't such a long time...!

A year isn't that long. I decided to take a year off so that I could try applying again and I am amazed at how fast time has gone by.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 02:38:43 PM »
If you apply earlier next time, its only about 8 more months until your cycle begins.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 09:38:20 AM »
I got into one school within a few weeks of applying, one school after a whole month of waiting, and then almost a month later - after NO NEWS - into three schools in three days.  of course, a few weeks later I got rejected from two in two days.  but...no, it's not necessarily bad news.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

murraj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 01:22:52 PM »
This wait is starting to drive me nuts.... I've been complete at all my schools since early december, have heard back from less than half, though nearly all are reaches (safety was Tulane, which I've gotten into)

JusAccrescendi

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - JusAbstinendi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 03:00:00 PM »
I have to admit that I was more optimistic regarding law school response time; I didn't foresee such stalling.

I realize I applied past the ideal time, but my top four choices have yet to contact me, completion notices notwithstanding. As more time drags on, I'm forced to believe that a rejection or indefinite waitlist is likely.
I have studied and thoroughly mastered the laws of logic. So to argue that I sometimes violate the laws of logic in ordinary conversation would be like arguing that some physicist circumvents the laws of physics in everyday life.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jusabstinendi