Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 992 times)

constantine123

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello everyone
« on: February 12, 2008, 09:46:56 AM »
I would like to say hi to everyone and receive some advice if possible. I just took my LSAT this past Feb.2nd. My fiance just left me several days before. ( I caught her cheating on me) My world has been turned upside down. However, I am going to do my damn best to get into law school no matter what. This started off as a dream years ago and I never thought that I would have the privilege to apply to law school, let alone take the LSAT. I am from a small town and have really struggled to get where I am today. It is not much, but it is what I got. Here is my information. I have taken the LSAT 15 times and I have scored between a 139 and a 157. I only scored a 139 because instead of taking the sections of the test in 35 minute increments, I put myself on 10 time constrictions for each of the four sections for a total 40 minutes for the entire practice test. That not counting I have scored between a 143 and a 157. Generally, I scored in the 144-150 range. I have been put on the honors list at the school I attend and currently have a 3.5 gpa. I am in statistics this semester, so we will have to see how that goes. I need to get in. It means the world to me. I also have been working at an awesome law firm in Indiana for the past six months and have received valuable work experience. I quit a good job to do this.I hope it pays off. Do I have any hope? Is there someone out there I could talk to? I have read a few of the articles and threads on this board and there seems to be people who are willing to help, if the one is willing to work. I can work. That is one thing I can do. Also, my major is political science and my minor is history. I graduate this May. Any help or words or encouragment would be most helpful. Thank you again.....

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 10:49:52 AM »
First off, congratulations on pursuing your dream. You can go to law school with a range of LSAT scores, especially if you have soft factors that the adcomms like. Military experience? URM? Other challenges or experiences that separate you from the pack?

That said, there may be difficulties with going to lower ranked law schools (i.e. the ones which will accept lower than 150-155). You should familiarize yourself with the whole issue in order to make a decision that is right for you.

Have you thought about an LSAT prep course? The higher scores you mention are within shooting range for lots of schools, the lower scores will be tough. Many people score lower on the actual test than they do in practice (myself included). Some people find a prep course helpful, some do not.

If you haven't checked it out already, lawschoolnumbers.com is really helpful. You can pin down which schools are appropriate matches for your LSAT and GPA.

Good luck! You have a good attitude towards the whole thing, and I am sure that will help you each your goal.

constantine123

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 10:57:51 AM »
Thank you so much. I was supposed to get married in two months. Not now, but the best man at my wedding went to Cooley in Michigan. He is now an Illinois state attorney. One of the deputy prosecutors that I work around went there as well. I have the drive, no matter where I get accepted. I have not checked out that site, but I will do so immediately. I understand that a fourth tier will not be easy, but I am an older student (27) and I do not party at all. I figured if I move to where I need to with just my bed and my laptop and nothing else but my books I will make it. I do not party or do anything that would put me in trouble if I even could get accepted to a 4th or 3rd tier law school. I will check out that site. Thank you.

Waiting for Those Letters

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cardozo Class of 2011
    • View Profile
    • LSN!!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 10:11:43 PM »
I'm still stuck on your fiance leaving you. Her loss. She could be missing out on a potentially successful attorney. Better you figured out what an unreliable person she is now, then after you guys tighed the knot!!
Don't get discouraged with the whole LSAT business. I highly suggest going through the Bible books ( have you heard of them?). Take your time and really internalize the info in those two books.
I started out with an intial diag of 138 in JULY  and then scored a 157 on the Dec LSAT. Granted, my score is not Harvard material, but hey, I know what it feels to work your way up.
You can do it!! Any questions, I would be more than happy to help!!

Alecto

• Sr. Citizen
  • Class of 2011
    • AOL Instant Messenger - oceangirlUGA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 04:18:05 PM »
Constantine,

Whatever else, don't let other threads on this board or other boards discourage you.  You don't need to get into a t14 or even a T1 school to get a good education and a good job.  There is a lot of snobbishness floating around that is (in my opinion) pretty unwarranted.  Let us know how the cycle goes for you!  What state are you in?  You might have a lot of options if there is a decent state school you could attend.