Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Importance of Course Selection in Undergrad for LawAdmission?  (Read 534 times)

kidchicago

• View Profile
Importance of Course Selection in Undergrad for LawAdmission?
« on: February 11, 2008, 07:38:16 PM »
Hi, I am applying to law schools soon and have some questions.

When I entered college I was initially a premed, and so the first two years of college I took a lot of science classes. However, the last two years I took more political science and history related courses. I still have an interest in science, especially biology. So basically when I graduate college I have majored in political science minored in biology. I know its a weird combination.

Anyways, how will law schools view this? Will they take the science courses I took into consideration or will they basically ignore those courses?

*Also I have another question. I know someone who is pre-med and majoring in biochemistry. He has taken predominantly science classes throughout college, besides some GED. However, besides taking the MCAT, he took the LSAT. He is applying to colleges for a dual MD/JD program. How will law school admission people view this? He barely has any humanities or anything besides biology and chem classes.

BoRNnTHeUSA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Importance of Course Selection in Undergrad for LawAdmission?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 07:44:59 PM »
Your coursework doesn't matter.  It's all GPA based.  You could major in basket weaving and still attend law school.
"I believe that what self-centered men have torn down, other-centered men can build up." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

Pixies

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 07:50:31 PM »
As long as your science grades are good I don't think it could hurt you, if anything it might set you apart. As far as your friend, he probably won't have too much trouble with the J.D. admissions but most med schools are looking for applicants who have taken quite a few social science courses (i.e. psychology sociology) on top of the typical pre-med courses.

stinabee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 07:51:45 PM »
Your coursework doesn't matter.  It's all GPA based.  You could major in basket weaving and still attend law school.

With one caveat...admissions knows what an 'easy' course load is versus a difficult one. A 4.0 in basket weaving and a 3.5 in molecular bio or some more intense major could be looked at the same way. Or, if instead of concentrating your courses in an certain area, you took all the online easy 1000-level classes...I'm sure they'd notice that too. But as far as "attending" law school...I mean, you can pretty much do anything with your college career and "attend" a law school. It's all a matter of which one  :)

TeresaPinfold

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 07:59:19 PM »

With one caveat...admissions knows what an 'easy' course load is versus a difficult one. A 4.0 in basket weaving and a 3.5 in molecular bio or some more intense major could be looked at the same way. Or, if instead of concentrating your courses in an certain area, you took all the online easy 1000-level classes...I'm sure they'd notice that too. But as far as "attending" law school...I mean, you can pretty much do anything with your college career and "attend" a law school. It's all a matter of which one  :)
Hmm, ok, but a 173, 4.0 in online 1000-level basketweaving at Boise State is >90% at Harvard, while a 173, 3.5 in graduate classes molecular biology at Cal Tech is <10%

stinabee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 08:06:33 PM »

Hmm, ok, but a 173, 4.0 in online 1000-level basketweaving at Boise State is >90% at Harvard, while a 173, 3.5 in graduate classes molecular biology at Cal Tech is <10%

LOL, touche. I'm just saying, I think they do consider breadth and difficult level of coursework, at least at some level.

GunnerDore

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 08:16:28 PM »
Hi, I am applying to law schools soon and have some questions.

When I entered college I was initially a premed, and so the first two years of college I took a lot of science classes. However, the last two years I took more political science and history related courses. I still have an interest in science, especially biology. So basically when I graduate college I have majored in political science minored in biology. I know its a weird combination.

How much attention you give to your unusual background will correlate with how much attention adcomms will give to your background. I tried to play mine up; I wrote about my "unusual" major combination (physics/math/art history triple) in my personal statement, mentioning how IP law is a good fit for both my artistic and my scientific interests.