Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Diploma in Paralegal Studies, good idea?  (Read 510 times)

KarateChop

• View Profile
Diploma in Paralegal Studies, good idea?
« on: February 11, 2008, 07:56:55 AM »
is getting this a good idea?

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Diploma in Paralegal Studies, good idea?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 08:04:35 AM »
If you want to be a paralegal, it probably isn't the worst thing to do.

It will not help, at all, in law school admissions.

Paper_Chase

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 09:45:34 AM »
is getting this a good idea?

Absolutely not.  What a waste of money.

camarogirlj

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 09:54:55 AM »
I started in a post-undergrad paralegal certificate program and trust me it is a HUGE waste of money if you intend on going to law school.  However, if you don't want to be a lawyer then it is a good option for a career in the legal field.

Petite Avocate

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 11:35:27 AM »
I've heard admission committees actually frown upon applicants with these certificates.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=LaPetiteAvocat
Yes, I know I've assigned myself the wrong gender on LSN. I apologize for offending the Francophones, but I'm not creating a whole new account to correct the error. Please stop leaving me messages.

BRodgers

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 10:24:37 PM »
I know that it's all subjective, but I have heard that a legal studies major, paralegal certificate, and in some cases even working as a paralegal at best doesn't hurt, but could be a negative. This is not my opinion, just something I was told by an admissions person once. From what I gathered, some law schools (or at least some admissions officials) feel that the less nuanced understanding of the law that any of the above provide is "just enough to get you in trouble". I will say that I have had political science classes with some of the folks who are majoring in legal studies and they often attempt detailed legal analyses of the issues at hand. For all I know they are dead-on, but I worry that they will enter law school with preconceived notions that may hamper their early progress. I am not being sarcastic when I say this. These are my fellow students after all. I have heard some professors say that legal studies and criminal justice should only be offered as minors.