Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT Scholarships?  (Read 4688 times)

sunglee

• Dash your curry like you not in a hurry
    • View Profile
LSAT Scholarships?
« on: February 10, 2008, 03:48:42 PM »
Does anyone know of any scholarship opportunities for minorities taking the LSAT. I plan on taking one of those courses, possibly testmasters, but it's so damn expensive, I wanted to know if there was free money out there for me?
no-body expects the Spanish inquisition

Principled.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fundamentals, period.
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT Scholarships?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »
I know some schools present merit scholarships for students who perform well on the test and are accepted into their law program. You'd have to do some research to find out which schools you'd be a good candidate to receive one from, once you've taken the test.

Also check out the scholarship thread here: http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,24924.0.html.

And look at the CLEO thread here: http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,96933.0.html.
They discuss some potential scholarship opportunities for minorities, which you can also find here: http://www.cleoscholars.com/.

You can also try googling "law school scholarship for minorities," or click here: http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=law+school+scholarships+for+minorities
"(s)he's arguing...(s)he's making an argument."

"...I'm so ready to promise my all & I'm so ready to give 'til the day that my life is no more... I'll be everything that this woman could possibly be...cause I'm ready to be like the olden days when commitment was golden" ~Chrisette Michele

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 03:35:12 PM »
I think she means for a prep course

Uhm probably not as those are businesses that are looking to make a profit and if they offered scholarships or money to minorities they would probably not make much as there is an increase of minorities that are taking the law school route now. It does suck that they charge so much for these schools, but when there is a demand there is money to be made from this high demand.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 01:07:15 AM »
I know that there are definitely LSAT prep scholarships out there, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.  I'd tried a google search, as well as places like UNCF, CLEO, ABA and your local black student alliance.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Principled.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fundamentals, period.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 07:36:22 AM »
ohhhhh!!! For some reason I figured she was wondering if she could get a scholarship based on her LSAT and that she wanted to take a course to increase that likelihood but the courses were so expensive. LOL I should have known, because the answer to that question was obvious. Sorry about that.

In that case...Blueprint offers a discount opportunity for the course, but it is based on space availability closer to the start of the course (this course isn't offered in a lot of places, since they are so new.)

Kaplan has a similar option as well, but I don't think anyone would necessarily recommend them for lsat prep since there are a few better companies out there, who are cheaper than them.

If you're still in college, talk to your advisor, or a pre-law advisor that you may know of; they may have some info for you.

"...I'm so ready to promise my all & I'm so ready to give 'til the day that my life is no more... I'll be everything that this woman could possibly be...cause I'm ready to be like the olden days when commitment was golden" ~Chrisette Michele

Principled.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fundamentals, period.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 10:56:27 AM »
Cinn,

I wanted to let you know that, if you're in the CA, NY, MA, or TX areas, the financial aid opportunity BP offers may be worth looking into. They offered me $499 off the price of the full course (total cost of course will be: $620).

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 11:58:01 AM »
Cinn,

I wanted to let you know that, if you're in the CA, NY, MA, or TX areas, the financial aid opportunity BP offers may be worth looking into. They offered me $499 off the price of the full course (total cost of course will be: $620).

Intersting. What was the req to get this

Principled.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fundamentals, period.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 12:16:42 PM »
have to turn in all the usual fee waiver stuff: tax forms and list of expenses. I'm not sure of any cutoffs. But my forms make it obvious that I have no spare funds.

Also, they want statements about why you want to attend law school, and why the financial aid would help.

Principled.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fundamentals, period.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 03:29:12 PM »
Thanks for adding this info mighty. The note about being in school may even help offset the the costs little bit more. I graduated two years ago, and work now so I at least have SOME income (which students usually do not have) and was still helped. At the same time, I pay rent, bills, etc, and financial aid considerations(more often than not) like to think students are more likely to be helped by their working parents, if there are some, when the students are at the undergraduate level. Than again, the financial aid award from your school, which usually considers your parents income, could speak to dispute such claims.