Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Seeking reputable LSAT tutor in Chicagoland area  (Read 1625 times)

ND JD Wannabe

• View Profile
Seeking reputable LSAT tutor in Chicagoland area
« on: March 19, 2004, 11:55:24 PM »
Hey everyone - boy do I need help wih this LSAT prep!  I took my first Kaplan diagnostic and came to a sobering reality I need to call in some reinforcements.  Let's just say I need to raise my score a good 20 points (not good at all!)

Does anyone know of a reputable LSAT tutor in the Chicagoland area?  Money is no object if the quality and experience is there.  Or perhaps I need a study group? 

I don't know, but I'm sure starting to feel discouraged embarking on this LSAT journey already behind the 8 ball!  I sure have a lot of work to do for June...please post if you think you might be able to help.  Thanks to all in advance! 

dsds3581

• View Profile
Re: Seeking reputable LSAT tutor in Chicagoland area
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 03:20:52 PM »
If I were in the Chicago area more frequently (I actually just left there last weekend), I would study with you. I did take Kaplan, and they helped me partially get to my goal...now I'm working towards the rest. I've pretty much increased 20 points since my diagnostic, using Kaplan's materials and a lot of other books...so it's not out of the question that you can. If you want to discuss more, send me a pm.

karenw911

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004, 09:25:00 PM »
Does anyone know of a reputable LSAT tutor in the Chicagoland area?  Money is no object if the quality and experience is there.  Or perhaps I need a study group? 
There is an instructor for one of the national prep courses that lives in Chicago. She is a part-time student at Chicago-Kent in her 4th year (she graduates this year).  She scored in the 98th percentile on the LSAT.  She does private tutoring. 

If you're interested, I can try to get a hold of her contact information for you.

Karen W.

ND JD Wannabe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004, 08:57:26 PM »
dsds3581 - sounds like we're in a similar situtation.  I'm concerned that a 20 point increase is not feasible for June, even if I do study every night.  What do you think?  Let's keep in touch. 

Karen W. - thanks for the reply.  I actually have a buddy who is at Kent now.  Yes, I'm definitely interested in her contact info.  Feel free to post it here or email me directly at sdbartma@yahoo.com.  Much thanks in advance!

dta

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2004, 09:41:23 PM »
hey ND JD - don't get discouraged! I got a miserable 151 on my first practice LSAT. About a dozen practice tests later I now score in the 158-164 range and still have a lot of practice to go till June.

Don't worry man. Just dedicate yourself to studying REAL hard. Buy, and take, EVERY SINGLE PREVIOUSLY RELEASED LSAT!!! Anyway, that's my strategy and it seems to be making a good improvement on my score so far.

And if you have a question about a problem post it up to this board and someone will answer. I posted a LR question I didn't understand to the board and someone quickly answered it. The very next day on my next practice test I encountered another question of similiar form and got it right!

Don't get down!!! Keep going!!!

ND JD Wannabe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 12:19:40 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement dta!  Unfortunately, I wish I got your 151, that's how bad I did.  I literally only made it through half of each section of the diagnostic (not good).  Admittedly, that was the very first time I even opened up an LSAT...

Re: your taking every LSAT comment, how do you suggest I do that in conjunction with my Kaplan course?  It's my understanding Kaplan now incorporates real LSATs in the curriculum.  As another member here advised, I don't want to "taint" my results by potentially exposing myself to duplicative questions.  Perhaps I can get a list of all the LSATs that are in the course from the office and just take all other LSATs in b/w classes? 

Also, good advice about using this board for questions.  I really appreciate how everyone here has a genuine comittment in helping each other (myself included!)

I'm just now starting to get exposed to the different techniques that are out there for each section.  I'm still in the initial stages of training my brain back into academia mode after 4+ years of work experience (hence, my skepticism that 2.5+ months 'til June might not be adequate time for me to bridge the huge gap b/w my diagnostic and my 160 goal).

I'm still trying to determine my best study approach.  I've got the Logic Games Bible arriving any day now.  So I'm hoping Kaplan course, PR's Cracking the LSAT, the Bible, and perhaps a tutor/study companion(s) will help form my foundation...then, as you suggest, take test after test to build up my speed. 

How do you think that approach sounds?  Am I on the right track here people?  Thanks

dta

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 12:29:49 AM »
I'm taking the Princeton Review course beginning this saturday. I emailed them and got a list of all the LSAT's they will be using for testing. They told me exactly which ones they'll be using. So i've got all the tests back to 1991 and am just going through them one by one. I know which ones not to take so I don't "taint" my performace in the PR practice tests.

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2004, 01:02:33 AM »
You might want to get logic puzzle books (they are typically near the crossword puzzle books in the book stores).  I did them a lot (mostly just for fun because I'm weird like that  :P ) and they really helped increase my logic ability.  They are the ones that have all the boxes you fill in to find out if you have 3 men, 3 woman and their names are a, b, c etc and work at d, e,f then if a is a d, (hope you get my drift) then is a a woman or a man.  That kind of thing.  I found them a much more fun way to help my logic skills and they won't mess up any practice lsat's you might take all the way through since they aren't lsats.

marcman

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.85/166
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004, 03:15:08 AM »
www.brody.com - I used them for my p.s. and app process was not disapointed. I know theyre based in chicago and offer lsat services. check out the site if your interested.

karenw911

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2004, 03:46:34 PM »

Karen W. - thanks for the reply.  I actually have a buddy who is at Kent now.  Yes, I'm definitely interested in her contact info.  Feel free to post it here or email me directly at sdbartma@yahoo.com.  Much thanks in advance!

I did reply to you privately on this didn't I?  ??? lol..I need a nap.

Karen W.