Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UH Vs Baylor??  (Read 14711 times)

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UH Vs Baylor??
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 02:59:21 PM »
We haven't forgotten that UH places way, way better than Baylor have we?

kimmiepie2007

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »
What is your LSAT and GPA?  I am going to apply to Baylor for the Spring 2009 term.

Rigel Rising

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 08:42:26 PM »
She doesn't lie... She was however Top 10%, Law Review and Fluent in Spanish, which probably helped... She's in San Antonio.

The fact that a graduate of this caliber only got a 90k job does not bode well for the median Baylor graduate.

lawandethan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 11:10:18 PM »
In Texas, we all know UT is king (outside of T14).

After that, it's Houston or SMU depending on what city you want to be in.  Baylor does not compete with these two schools in either market.  That's it.  If you want to work in Dallas, your job prospects will be SUBSTANTIALLY better out of SMU.  Same thing with Houston and the Houston market.  To choose Baylor, is to choose to handicap yourself in your job search.

hs1046

• 163, 3.82
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2008, 07:15:41 PM »
I've read that the average starting salary at UH is about 85-90k.

hs1046

• 163, 3.82
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2008, 07:16:43 PM »
I have read that the average starting salary at UH is about 85-90k.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2008, 03:28:31 AM »
I have read that the average starting salary at UH is about 85-90k.

That's true for those who reported their salary to the school and they are usually top students with jobs. The average starting salary is probably much lower. 

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2008, 02:24:17 PM »

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2008, 05:04:29 PM »
Really?  Is it older?  In a bad neighborhood?  Both?

Both.  I'm not really big on aesthetics myself, but the building itself resembles a big cement block that could serve as a bomb shelter.  The neighborhood is not great, but it's livable.  And, there is not an abundance of housing or restaurants within walking distance.

I visited quite a few schools, and I found Princeton Review's "students say" descriptions to be pretty accurate.  This is from PR's website:  "Unfortunately, the campus isn't much of a social hub because "It is in a part of Houston that nobody really cares to live in, so most people come in for class and then head home."

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »
Go to UH!!!!! Very well respected in Houston, you have personal ties and aside from the fact that the school is aesthetically unpleasing, the staff really goes out of its way to take care of its students and to help prospective students in making their choice to come to UH. It's a type of personal care you won't find at many other law schools. Also, if you pay attention to USNews, the school has been jumping up the rankings over the last 3 years.

Baylor is a great school, but UH is a great environment where you will be comfortable, happy b/c you are close to family and friends and in a great Texas legal market where you'll get first crack at networking opportunities and career mentoring from local professionals.

Go Cougars!
Vanderbilt 2010