Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hello everyone.  (Read 825 times)

secondsblue

• View Profile
Hello everyone.
« on: February 09, 2008, 04:37:26 PM »
So I've decided I'm interested in going to law school. However, I have some concerns:

1.) I have no volunteer/community service experience

2.) I was homeschooled (started community college when I was 17).

Here's my CC transcript: http://members.cox.net/xynder777/communitycollege.pdf -- AA degree, highest distinction, 3.79x
Here's my ASU transciprt: http://members.cox.net/xynder777/univy.pdf - BS degree, summa cum laude, 4.0

Here are some things I think I have going for me:

1.) Completed 2 semesters of tutoring students at the university writing lab (I got credit for this, it's on the university transcript as Writing Mentor)

2.) Completed 1 semester internship (see university transcript under Fall 07) at the US Postal Inspection Service (boy, do they hate attorneys)

3.) Employed during my last year of school as a student assistant at the US Secret Service (did deskwork, but saw a lot of criminal law workings. the agents there hate attorneys too!)

4.) My undergrad grades

Thoughts? Besides getting a good LSAT, what do I need to do to be a shoe-in at a T50? More volunteer/community service? A second language? Some grad coursework?

I have a meeting with a grad student I knew at ASU. She's in the PhD Program, but also has JD from NYU (got tired of making boatloads of money as a corporate banking attorney, I guess?)

IamAnXman

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PM+me+to+get+it
    • View Profile
Re: Hello everyone.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 04:49:07 PM »
mostly you need a good LSAT score. some people on here will tell you that that number on your test means less than a GPA or a good ugrad school but in reality, and all things considered, the LSAT is what makes or breaks an applicant's application. even doubly so when you realize the the LSAT is a great predictor for how your legal career will go, even if you don't remain just a lawyer- it's predictive value can encompass your success/failure on many other levels- politician/public servant/etc. it really all depends on how you view your career and if you feel it's worth it to go to law school in your condition. frankly speaking, it sounds like you made this decision on a whim, and that's not healthy for a law school career- money isn't the best reason to choose this path. but others will disagree vehemently about those things.

basically to answer your original question, which honestly was difficult to find hidden inside most of that junk you posted, to be a shoe-in (or as is commonly called an auto admit) for the Top 50 schools, you need a 165+. coupled alongside a strong GPA (3.5+), you are gauranteed a spot in the T50. but, obviously, to get into the top schools you'll need 168+. coupled within a good GPA, this could be your ticket to a top law school.

finally, xynder- on behalf of the posters of LSD (and the moderators), welcome to this forum.

IamAnXman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 04:57:21 PM »
::) yeah, we'll listen to the guy who's first response in this thread was "um, what do you want to know?" great contribution, amped.

oh noze

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 06:33:00 PM »
If you get a decent LSAT, you're a shoo-in for a T50 easily. If you get a good LSAT, you'll ll get into a T14. Don't be discouraged by the CC/lack of experience aspects; I've done fuckall, was homeschooled, went to a CC and haven't done terrible this cycle. In at a couple of nicely ranked schools already.

BadAdviceTagger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 07:02:40 PM »
mostly you need a good LSAT score. some people on here will tell you that that number on your test means less than a GPA or a good ugrad school but in reality, and all things considered, the LSAT is what makes or breaks an applicant's application. even doubly so when you realize the the LSAT is a great predictor for how your legal career will go, even if you don't remain just a lawyer- it's predictive value can encompass your success/failure on many other levels- politician/public servant/etc. it really all depends on how you view your career and if you feel it's worth it to go to law school in your condition. frankly speaking, it sounds like you made this decision on a whim, and that's not healthy for a law school career- money isn't the best reason to choose this path. but others will disagree vehemently about those things.

basically to answer your original question, which honestly was difficult to find hidden inside most of that junk you posted, to be a shoe-in (or as is commonly called an auto admit) for the Top 50 schools, you need a 165+. coupled alongside a strong GPA (3.5+), you are gauranteed a spot in the T50. but, obviously, to get into the top schools you'll need 168+. coupled within a good GPA, this could be your ticket to a top law school.

finally, xynder- on behalf of the posters of LSD (and the moderators), welcome to this forum.
I am a protector of LSD.
I quote bad advice.
That which I quote should never be followed.

devilishlyblue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 07:23:05 PM »
A CC is bad news if you do fine there and screw it up in university, or if you screw it up there at all.  You're in neither boat.

IamAnXman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 09:46:05 PM »
it's obvious now that badadvicetagger is an idiot. you quoted my entire post, although your good friend amped even conceded that some of my post is correct. therefore even if he was right, which he isn't, you "tagged" even the good bit of advice. then you should have quoted all of amped's post as well, if you knew anything about logical chains. whoever's alt you are, you must not have done very well on the LSAT.

IamAnXman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 10:11:40 PM »
^ i'll take this as proof that he is your alt.

also, amped. your little analogy is incredibly lacking in logic, as is that story. one faulty piece of advice given cannot act as a corollary to allow every subsequent piece of advice given to be deemed "bad". one mistake (though i challenge you or anyone to find it in my post history) never indicates future mistakes. look up correlation v. causation and then find out the meaning of necessity v. sufficiency before you attempt to support your claims in support of your alt.

IamAnXman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 10:23:10 PM »
^ try taking your own advice, amped. see where you end up. and here's the interesting bit...it's not up to you people to decide what is sound advice. let the advice-seeker decide, and let my post count speak for itself as a display of my belonging in the community. i haven't seen one poster applaud me or welcome me into MAS, although now that i'm in it and now that i'm a large and helpful part of the LSD community i don't need it any more.

secondsblue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 11:31:44 PM »
What the @#!* is wrong with you guys?