Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Northwestern 1L, Taking Questions  (Read 4186 times)

mumbling2myself

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Northwestern 1L, Taking Questions
« on: February 09, 2008, 04:04:43 PM »
Talking about my school is about 97% more fun than working on my legal writing assignment.  I'll answer as best I can, hopefully correctly.

. . . . . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Northwestern 1L, Taking Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 04:06:52 PM »
I'm coming up for the Diverse admit day. What is the closest hotel to the campus.
Thanks

mumbling2myself

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 04:14:12 PM »
I'm coming up for the Diverse admit day. What is the closest hotel to the campus.
Thanks

I stayed in a Best Western, wich is now called Inn Chicago or some such.  There are a lot of hotels very near campus, the list sent out last year with admit materials was pretty comprehensive.

Hey dude.  Do most 1Ls live in Streeterville?  The apts look pretty expensive.

I'd guess it's about 50/50.  I live in Streeterville, along with most of my friends, and it's really nice to live centrally to get to know a lot of your classmates.  The apartments are pretty pricey (more money than I've ever spent for less space than I've ever had) but that's the tradeoff for having a good location and a nice view.

. . . . . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 04:20:22 PM »
I just want to make sure I will be able to walk to the campus from whatever hotel I choose. The list they sent out is very long, and I just wanted to know which was the closet. Thanks

mumbling2myself

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 04:22:37 PM »
I just want to make sure I will be able to walk to the campus from whatever hotel I choose. The list they sent out is very long, and I just wanted to know which was the closet. Thanks

There are tons of hotels within walking distance.  I'd check on pricing first, then googlemap them.

. . . . . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 04:30:01 PM »
Are signing up for any of the clinics? If so, is it hard to get into the one you want?

mumbling2myself

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 04:37:14 PM »
What are you doing this summer?

Do the students feel old?

I'm not sure what I'm doing this summer.  I'm waiting to hear back from a few firms, but if that fails I'll likely split my time between researching for a professor and working in the clinic (I've got my SFPIF hours pretty well under control, so I'm not too worried about money).

The students aren't really old.  I'm 25, and that's about the age of most of my peers.  A few of my friends are turning 30 this year, but they're in the minority.  For the most part the students feel and act pretty young, though professional.

Are signing up for any of the clinics? If so, is it hard to get into the one you want?

The volunteering for clinics hasn't really started in earnest.  After this summer, though, clinics are treated like any other class and can be bid on.  From what I've heard, if you really want a specific clinic, you will probably get a crack at it before you're done here.

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 05:21:49 PM »
I'd guess it's about 50/50.  I live in Streeterville, along with most of my friends, and it's really nice to live centrally to get to know a lot of your classmates.  The apartments are pretty pricey (more money than I've ever spent for less space than I've ever had) but that's the tradeoff for having a good fantastic location and a nice amazing view.

Fixt.

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 05:23:55 PM »
I'd guess it's about 50/50.  I live in Streeterville, along with most of my friends, and it's really nice to live centrally to get to know a lot of your classmates.  The apartments are pretty pricey (more money than I've ever spent for less space than I've ever had) but that's the tradeoff for having a good fantastic location and a nice amazing view.

Fixt.

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 05:26:12 PM »

Fixt.