Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Withdrawal Letters?  (Read 1128 times)

LegallyAccepted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Withdrawal Letters?
« on: February 08, 2008, 08:55:03 PM »
What are the pros and cons of doing these?  I am not sure yet if I really want to do them to the schools that I KNOW I won't be attending, but why should I?

Your opinion is appreciated...
You never know unless you try!

In: Mercer(W), Tulane (90K), WUSTL($), Loyola New Orleans (W) (99K), DePaul (W) (45K), LSU (W) (60K)(non-resident), Georgia State (W) (non-resident)
Waitlisted: Emory (W), UT (W), Vandy (W)
Rejected: Harvard

TULANE LAW CLASS OF 2011!!!

LegallyAccepted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Withdrawal Letters?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 09:23:28 PM »
Anyone there?

In: Mercer(W), Tulane (90K), WUSTL($), Loyola New Orleans (W) (99K), DePaul (W) (45K), LSU (W) (60K)(non-resident), Georgia State (W) (non-resident)

insomniac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 10:05:36 PM »
courtesy

More or less...
You are certainly under no obligation to withdraw until the date the seat deposit is due; however, these are schools which wanted you to join them....if you know you aren't going to attend, it seems like the gracious thing to do. It is not unreasonable to hold on to ones that may give you scholarship money which could be leveraged. If this doesn't apply, and you are sure you won't go there, why hang on to it? It just seems, well, pointless.

LegallyAccepted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 11:07:28 PM »
What exactly should I put in the withdrawal letter?  Anyone have any examples?

Bananas, Melonas, Yeah

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 11:14:44 PM »
^That.

Or..."Thank you for your offer of admission but I will not be attending your school in the fall.  Best of luck in composing your incoming class."  Less is more.

. . . . . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 11:29:26 PM »
Dear School,

Sorry you're not good enough...I won't be attending. Maybe if you'd given me more money, but it probably wouldn't matter.

-Joe Bob

This is perfect

Petite Avocate

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 12:46:01 PM »
Dear X,

I am writing to release my spot in this fall's entering class. I am grateful to have been given the opportunity to study at XYZ Law, but I have decided to attend another school.

Thank you and take care,
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=LaPetiteAvocat
Yes, I know I've assigned myself the wrong gender on LSN. I apologize for offending the Francophones, but I'm not creating a whole new account to correct the error. Please stop leaving me messages.

LegallyAccepted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 02:14:06 PM »
Dear X,

I am writing to release my spot in this fall's entering class. I am grateful to have been given the opportunity to study at XYZ Law, but I have decided to attend another school.

Thank you and take care,

I think I will use this one to schools that were nice to me in this process.  But for you others, (who were rude or didn't give me any money) please keep your eyes out for this: 

Dear School,

Sorry you're not good enough...I won't be attending. Maybe if you'd given me more money, but it probably wouldn't matter.

-Joe Bob

Petite Avocate

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 02:35:07 PM »
Dear X,

Thank you and take care,

I think I will use this one to schools that were nice to me in this process.  But for you others, (who were rude or didn't give me any money) please keep your eyes out for this: 

Dear School,

-Joe Bob

Just don't send that first one to Northwestern or Vanderbilt. They've already seen it from me.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=LaPetiteAvocat
Yes, I know I've assigned myself the wrong gender on LSN. I apologize for offending the Francophones, but I'm not creating a whole new account to correct the error. Please stop leaving me messages.