Law School Discussion

LSAT Cutoff

ja13

LSAT Cutoff
« on: October 03, 2004, 03:52:37 PM »
just took the LSAT yesterday and am pretty unsure as to how i scored. i wasted time on the science passage, and nerves kicked in when i realized i had misgridded a few answers. so i ended up randomly guessing on several of the questions for the last passage. i've never had that problem before, so i have no basis to estimate my score.

i know there is obviously no hard limit, but i was wondering if i could get a general opinion of at what score i should reconsider applying to the following schools: georgetown, nyu, columbia, harvard, penn, and michigan. i have a 3.99 gpa from the university of rochester.  i know this seems like a silly question, but i'm going to be sending applications in as soon as i receive my score, so i want to have a plan in mind.

thanks in advance for any input.

AMB22

• View Profile
Re: LSAT Cutoff
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 04:03:33 PM »
You have a great GPA from a good school so if you do well on your lsat you should be able to get into a great school. I think if you break 170 you'll be a lock anywhere except Harvard, Yale and Stanford which are hard to predict. the three best way to see where you fit in once you get your score is:

1. look at the 25/75 data on law school from publications like USNews...generally you need to be above both the 25th for lsat and gpa to have a competitive shot at a school UNLESS you are a underrepresented minority in which case your lsat (according to Montauk counts for about an extra 8-10 points)

2. Go to lawschoolnumbers.com and look at the graphs for the schools you are considering...they'll give you a good idea of what cutoffs are and what schools generally accept/deny at

3. go to http://www.prelawadvisor.com/YesPoints.htm and see where you fit in, I'd say rochester is about the same level school as georgetown so your lsat will give you a good idea

but all in all, the whole application is evaluated so theres no guarantees really or exact way of prediction, these are just good guides

superiorlobe

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 04:20:43 PM »
I think that Yes-points chart is out of date.  There is no way any school (other than maybe Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Princeton) places more than 50% of their applicants at Yale with only 3.9/172.  Yale's median LSAT is 174 and their median uGPA is 3.92, and their acceptance rate only gets above 50% when you have an LSAT over 177 and a GPA over 3.9.

absy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 04:33:18 PM »
I agree that it doesn't seem completely accurate.  I seem to plug this a lot, but I like the graphs on LSN.

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 10:42:16 PM »
Median LSAT at Yale is 173