Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: So What if I Need More $$$ Than the Cost of Attendance (COA)  (Read 1024 times)

agent433

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
So What if I Need More $$$ Than the Cost of Attendance (COA)
« on: February 08, 2008, 10:22:12 AM »
Im lookin at some of these COA's (Loyola LA specifically) and they don't seem like they'd be enough to cover me.  I mean LLS allocated like 10,500 or so for room and board, for 9 months Im assuming.  How the fucc am I gonna be able to make that work when its at least 1200-1500 a month for rent alone for a 1/1? Thats even takin food into acount.  Ive heard you can take out private loans, but I went to a couple bank sites that offer private loans and they all say that the total amt. of loans you take out can't be more than the COA?  So how does that work? Where do I get that extra $$$?

etmerian

• Sr. Citizen
  • UM '11
    • View Profile
Re: So What if I Need More $$$ Than the Cost of Attendance (COA)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 10:49:42 AM »
I think it depends on where you go - I've seen some lenders who say they contact your financial aid office, and some who don't.  For example, I think Bank of America's Education Maximizer just has an annual limit, I think $40,000, and it's sent directly to you.  I believe NextStudent is the same.  Shop around - HTH.

rtqw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 02:40:14 PM »
Im lookin at some of these COA's (Loyola LA specifically) and they don't seem like they'd be enough to cover me.  I mean LLS allocated like 10,500 or so for room and board, for 9 months Im assuming.  How the fucc am I gonna be able to make that work when its at least 1200-1500 a month for rent alone for a 1/1? Thats even takin food into acount.  Ive heard you can take out private loans, but I went to a couple bank sites that offer private loans and they all say that the total amt. of loans you take out can't be more than the COA?  So how does that work? Where do I get that extra $$$?

Where do you get 10,500? According to http://www.lls.edu/admissions/finaid/ - 13,500 is allotted for room and board.
University of Michigan Law School, Class of 2010
LSN

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 06:29:45 PM »
You could use graduate plus student loans.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 07:04:39 PM »
You could use graduate plus student loans.

You generally can not get a GRADPLUS loan for more than the COA.  You can get private loans though...

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 10:06:33 PM »
Get a roomate.

Don't spend so much money.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Hammerstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 10:10:08 PM »
LLS is also showing a housing cost of $13,500 for this year, so that should help a bit.
CLS 2011.  All done.

Pearl

• Sr. Citizen
  • I AM THE LAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 11:54:41 AM »
I sometimes go a whole week w/o having to pay for a meal b/c of all the free food you get at law school HTH :P