Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hi canadians!  (Read 1544 times)

briTTT

• Sr. Citizen
  • ...but not to pass it!
    • View Profile
Hi canadians!
« on: October 02, 2004, 07:27:01 PM »

I was thinking about going to Canada for undergrad, but then got lazy and stayed in the US.  I've noticed some of you guys are thinking of coming down here for law school, and I'd love to go up there, but like, aren't the laws different or something?  Can you go to school up there/down here and then practice down there/up there? I need to get out of this country (US)! 
SW (pt) c/o '10

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Hi canadians!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 07:30:06 PM »
haah ... it would be difficult to attend a canadian school, and then practice in the US.  The laws are different and you would have to pass the US bar.  I'm sure it can be down.

Actually, it would probably be harder to attend a US law school and then practice in Canada.  I want to attend a US school, but I also want to practice in the states for about 5 years ... so i'm probably okay.  As long as I can get a job :D

victrola

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 09:47:22 AM »
actually, i have several friends who graduated from UofT and osgoode law schools and did their summer articles in NYC and then got picked up by the firms for permanent positions.  and they were all great firms.

US firms actually come to canadian law schools to recruit new grads in the larger cities.  it's apparently quite easy to make the transfer down, but harder to go from a US law school to a canadian firm.  the girls that i knew had their companies pay and sponsor their visas, too, and get large signing bonuses in NY.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 11:26:50 AM »
actually, i have several friends who graduated from UofT and osgoode law schools and did their summer articles in NYC and then got picked up by the firms for permanent positions.  and they were all great firms.

US firms actually come to canadian law schools to recruit new grads in the larger cities.  it's apparently quite easy to make the transfer down, but harder to go from a US law school to a canadian firm.  the girls that i knew had their companies pay and sponsor their visas, too, and get large signing bonuses in NY.

really? ... that's some of the best infomation I've heard.  I was really worried about getting a placement in the US after I go to school there becuase of my cit. (or lack there of). 

victrola

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 12:10:01 PM »
don't quote me on this, but from what i remember, for canadian students looking for work in american law firms, the states of NY, MA, and CA basically automatically transfered your degree without requiring extra course work (although, of course, you'd still have to pass the bar in the state you wish to practice in).  for other states, they may require you to take US const. law and for others, they would do a course-by-course comparison.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004, 12:22:18 PM »
well ...

I am planning on studying law in the states so I'm not too concerned about that.  Mostly, I was worried about competing for a placement at US firms after graduation.  I thought that firms might look down on the fact that I'm not a us citizen and that they would have to sponsor a work permit. 

victrola

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2004, 01:02:51 PM »
which law schools in the states were you looking at?  i was so gung-ho about a few US law schools but the tuition wasn't justifiable to my parents and since they're picking up the tab, i'm just crossing my fingers for UBC or uvic.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2004, 01:07:56 PM »
I applied to the most of the schools in the t14 (minus yale, nw, and nyu) ... and also UCLA.   

I also applied to UBC and I might still apply to UVic but I'm not really sure yet.  I'm not sure if I want to go to the states either.  I'm pretty confused but I figured that I can work things out later.

kerisd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2004, 01:55:59 PM »
Cheeks I don't think you need to worry
I too have heard of many UT Law students getting recruited by repuatable firms in the US..
If you study in the states, I really don't think they'll hold the citizenship thing against you
if you maintain competitive grades.. :) and your articling goes smoothly
But you know what?? It sounds like you really need to assess where you want to go
what are your criteria for law school selection?? I think choosing a school is a major decision and you should be honest about it, you know?? It'll constitute a big part of your happiness in a few years time
I wish I could be more help.. but i'm writing the dec lsat so I'm a little behind..

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2004, 02:01:04 PM »
yeah, you're right about the decision thing ...

To be honest, I do have my school selection criteria in order and i know where I want to go.  They just have to want me to go there :D  Plus, I need to do a lot more research on things like job markets and placement rates and stuff like that before I make a decision.  I'm trying to pick my law school based on what I want to do after law school. 

and no articling in the US :D ... just pass the bar and you're good to go!

It's weird that everyone knows UofT law students that do this.  I go to UofT right now and know a LOT of law students and I'm quite familiar with the law school...but what I want to do seems pretty unheard of around here ... In fact I've been getting a lot of pressure to stay in Canada.  muh ...  :-\