Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Cincinnati or Cleveland Marshall (Full Ride)  (Read 736 times)

jubcoo

• View Profile
University of Cincinnati or Cleveland Marshall (Full Ride)
« on: February 07, 2008, 07:55:17 PM »
I am trying to choose between UC and Cleveland Marshall. My stats 3.66/159 got me a full ride to Cleveland Marshall and $13,000 total for Cincinnati.

Cincinnati has the Urban Morgan Human Rights Program and some journals I really like, but it will cost me around 40-45 thousand to go there, my scholarship included. It is also ranked higher than CSU.

CSU places really well in Cleveland but overall is ranked lower and has no national reputation, but is a full ride.

What should I do?

Avicenna

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: University of Cincinnati or Cleveland Marshall (Full Ride)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 11:09:37 PM »
This is a very easy question.

However, before I answer this question, I want you to know that I have lived in both Cleveland and Cincinnati. That being said, I will offer an answer with the least amount of bias as possible.

GO TO CINCINNATI

This is a no brainer. Spending the extra money at UC is a great investment. Cleveland's quality of life is very low and many national city rankings have criticized the regions low growth rate and education level.
Case Western is by far the best law school in Cleveland and performs much better than any of the other Cleveland schools. On the other hand, Cincinnati is the best and only law school in the city(so you can imagine the types of opportunities there are to stay local).

Furthermore, UC boasts one of the best internship programs in the country-- many students go part time their 2L and 3L years and work for decent law firms.

I'd say, if there is a huge money issue, I'd go to Cleveland. However, if you can deal with the loans...definitely UC.

jubcoo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 09:00:37 AM »
Thanks for the reply. My concern is nothing guarantees me a higher salary at UC, but it does guarantee me a better academic experience and more opportunities. I am just not sure if those opportunities are worth 40k. Does anyone else have feedback?

snapintotheparty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 12:23:52 PM »
I can't speak on behalf of UC, but I know that Cleveland has a really good reputation with the community, plus boasted top honors in bar pass rate in July.  I think that they are realizing that they need to make up some ground, and they are really working hard to do that.  I guess it also helps that last year their Alum over doubled contributions made in 2006.  But I dont want you to go there because I haven't found out if they're going to take me or not  ;)

leigha926

• AOL Instant Messenger - lia0926
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 04:00:13 PM »
Go to UC. It's a much better program in a much nicer city and it dominates the legal market in Cincinnati. Graduating from UC here with decent grades pretty much guarantees you a good job in the city because there's no competition. To me, this is a no brainer. Good luck with your decision.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 04:52:47 PM »
I'd also pick Cincinnati.

steuby

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 04:56:58 PM »
Cleveland's quality of life is very low and many national city rankings have criticized the regions low growth rate and education level.

heck yeah... when i was visiting once, i took a wrong turn near the football stadium and ventured upon a city of homeless people... it must have been mealtime at the local shelter or something, but it was right out of the South Park homeless episode (for those of you cultured enough to have seen it).

stayyyy away

snapintotheparty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 06:53:50 PM »
^^ True, I would never live in Cleveland...