Law School Discussion

Realistically weighing my options...

Realistically weighing my options...
« on: February 07, 2008, 04:09:34 PM »
I've only been accepted to four schools, and at this point, I am not sure I am going to receive any more acceptances.  When I realistically look at the schools I have been offered admission to, I can't justify the price for the debt I would take on and job prospects I would have (check my LSN). 

That being said, I am seriously considering taking the LSAT for a third time (with ANOTHER powerscore course) and reapplying next year.  I would have 3 months between when I graduate and the June LSAT to prepare.

Am I totally losing it?


Re: Realistically weighing my options...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 04:50:40 PM »
bump....does anyone have ANY advice?

Re: Realistically weighing my options...
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 04:58:12 PM »
That is good to hear, and I applied to their concentration programs and do well with placing for clerkships, so that was obviously attractive to me.  The thing I am worrying about the most is the debt - it is a $36,000+ school with off-campus housing in an expensive city. 


  • ****
  • 2793
    • View Profile
Re: Realistically weighing my options...
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 05:02:37 PM »
If you had some practice LSATs in the 163+ range, you should retake after some prep.

Catholic is not a horrible school, but a super expensive private in the most competitive US market = yikes.

Re: Realistically weighing my options...
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 05:08:00 PM »
Hey I just glanced at your LSN...and I don't think you should give up quite yet if you are still interested in going to the schools that haven't rejected you yet. I don't know much about Richmond and Rutgers, but from what I remember researching, you would definitely have a chance at Suffolk and Penn, based on the numbers. Sometimes it takes awhile to hear back even if you apply early, so just be PATIENT. They don't lie about this March-April crap, unfortunately. Have you submitted anything else to the schools you are WL/Deferred at? A letter of continued interest, another letter of recc, etc?

You have to think about how much you are really going to gain from waiting a whole other year for another couple months of LSAT prep, and what your long term goals are. How much did you study the first two times? If you already studied hardcore both times, you have to be realistic in that maybe you're not cut out for the 170s or maybe even the 160s (hey, its okay, I doubt I am either). Also, even though this board is crawling with people with huge scholarships, the reality is that most law students take out loans or only get small scholarships. And that is fine...that is the only feasible way many people can get graduate just have to perform well and stay motivated so you get a nice-paying job:) I've been lucky enough to have a state scholarship and generous parents for undergrad. But they are cutting me off, so this will be my first time going into debt, and I'm definitely nervous about it too.

If you do decide to retake and reapply, maybe apply to more schools next time around just so you get a wider range of offers (though I can't really talk...I only applied to 9 because I was hesitant about going forward with a 157). I could argue for both ways, but the BIG QUESTION is how much you can improve from a few more months of studying. If you honestly think you can push yourself to the 160s or beyond, then you would offer more competitive numbers and could POSSIBLY get some better outcomes. But also consider what you are going to do for a year. Will you be able to get a job making some decent money? (i.e. living at home, saving every penny you can possibly spare?) Otherwise, that is kind of a year wasted, because you could be on your way to getting that JD and getting a higher salary.

If I don't get into my targets/reaches then I doubt I will settle for my safeties (which makes me wonder why i applied to them in the first place...haha sigh) so I COMPLETELY understand where you are coming from. But I really think you should wait it out a little more before dropping the hat, because you do have a chance at those schools if you are definitely interested in going to one of them. Esp. since Boston is an expensive place to live, I would at least wait and see what Penn nas to say before jumping back into logic games.


  • ****
  • 1064
    • View Profile
Re: Realistically weighing my options...
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 07:42:10 PM »
I am having these same thoughts, so I don't think you are crazy at all. Of course, I haven't heard from anyone yet, so that isn't helping my confidence.

Did Powerscore help you much? I have started looking into it, just in case I get rejected everywhere.

Good luck in making your decision!

Re: Realistically weighing my options...
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 08:15:52 PM »
I took the weekend course, and my score actually went DOWN 6 points.  I was under extreme stress that day, so it could have been a lot of things. 

Re: Realistically weighing my options...
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 08:31:24 PM »
alright, i'm copying one of my older posts here:

This was pretty much my situation a few years ago when I applied in 05-06.  Did worse on the LSAT than I wanted, applied late, and was accepted to three schools, none of which were my first choice or places I felt excited about.  I took an LSAT class and retook in 06.

I didn't want to leave anything to chance, so I wrote a new PS, I added a DS, I wrote the Why Penn, I got three new letters of rec (one was from the same person who wrote me a letter the first time, but I asked him to write a new one), and I got my apps in by the first week of November.  However, I'm pretty certain I've seen other reapplicants say that they changed NOTHING (including recs) and got better results.

Already, I've gotten in to three four schools who flat-out auto-rejected me last time, one school I didn't even dare apply to, and one of the schools that I was accepted to the first time (I didn't reapply to the other two).

I think law school is too important to settle for a school when you know in your heart that you'll always wonder if you could have gone somewhere that would make you happier and more successful if only...

Re: Realistically weighing my options...
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 09:23:07 AM »
THANK YOU all for your help, this has been SO beneficial to me :)

Re: Realistically weighing my options...
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 09:51:21 AM »
I had this exact same problem last year.  I got into some schools, but I didn't think they were worth the money.  I knew I could do better on the LSAT due to the time I had to prepare the first time I took it, so I decided to retake and apply again.  After a 5 point increase I am in a waaaay better situation this year, and I don't regret my decision to wait in the least.

My advice to you would be to wait and retake IF you know you could do better.  The debt is a big deal, and getting into a better school or getting scholarships could be worth the year of waiting.  I definitely thought about the fact that my earning potential in the year while I was waiting to go to law school would probably be less than the year after law school.  Therefore, in the same 4 year period I would have made more money getting the law degree right away, but I figured the difference probably would not make up for the fact that I could get scholarships, or go in state (which could save me about $60,000 over 3 years).  You would also be getting work and real life experience in that year, which could be beneficial to your application.

Good luck in whatever you decide!