Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Re-apps - Need new LOR's?  (Read 948 times)

jddino

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re-apps - Need new LOR's?
« on: February 07, 2008, 02:41:14 PM »
I am reapplying this cycle.  I am using the same prof's as recommenders.  What are people's opinions on getting new LOR's.  Is it a must for a re-app?  I would assume that prof's would say the same things as they did last year?  What will schools think if they get the same letter as last year, or if they see it dated 2007, does all of this even matter? 

anxshusmonkee

• View Profile
Re: Re-apps - Need new LOR's?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 08:14:10 PM »
I am reapplying this cycle.  I am using the same prof's as recommenders.  What are people's opinions on getting new LOR's.  Is it a must for a re-app?  I would assume that prof's would say the same things as they did last year?  What will schools think if they get the same letter as last year, or if they see it dated 2007, does all of this even matter? 

It depends on the school. Cornell, for example, makes you write them specifically if you'd like to reapply and use the same letters of rec. Otherwise, it seems they just assume that you'll be getting new ones and your file isn't complete without either new recs or that written statement.

I'm planning on reapplying next year, but I don't intend to get new recs. Like you, I can't really see them saying anything different and I don't think my recs are my problem. Several of my recs are several years old, as I wanted to get them written while the relationship was still fresh and I knew I intended to apply eventually. I think the only time it would make sense to get a new rec is if you've developed a new significant relationship with a prof/boss or done something new and fantastic that a recommender can speak to.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
Re: Re-apps - Need new LOR's?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 07:44:28 PM »
Hey I think I remember you from before!

I am reapplying this cycle after applying super late last round. I had 3 more LORs this cycle, so 6 total. I just used the ones that I thought would be the best overview of me. (2 new and 1 old for most schools)

You should contact the school(s) to which you plan to reapply and see if they will definitely review your old LORs with your new apps. If they do, give them some new ones to go with it, if they don't, pick the ones you like best.

Schools in general want to know what has changed in the last year, and therefore new or updated LORs would be best.

Remember you can direct your LORs to each school.

I hope that answers your questions.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.