Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Michigan Summer Start?  (Read 546 times)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Michigan Summer Start?
« on: February 06, 2008, 01:01:30 PM »
Michigan summer start... Are there any advantages/disadvantages, and would you take it if that was the only way you were getting into Michigan?

utilitarianjac

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Michigan Summer Start?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 01:08:36 PM »
I would love to start in the summer at Michigan. What I can tell you is the same thing you would find on their website, but here are the things that sold me.

Get to ease into law school with a lighter load
Get to be on campus with far fewer students, thus helping you to get to know a core group of people even better
Will have some grades when you begin looking for work in the next summer
Can finish with a dual degree a little earlier

Petite Avocate

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 01:24:57 PM »
I've been accepted to Mich's summer start and I'm really leaning towards it. I was sold for all the reasons utilitarianjac was, except the thing about the dual degree. Since I attended a small (<1,000) undergrad inst., starting with fewer students was the clincher.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=LaPetiteAvocat
Yes, I know I've assigned myself the wrong gender on LSN. I apologize for offending the Francophones, but I'm not creating a whole new account to correct the error. Please stop leaving me messages.

RandyJay419

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 01:26:05 PM »
I would love to start at Michigan this summer...really, anytime!  :)  But I think the Summer Start is a great option for the same reasons listed by utilitarianjac.  Also, it seems particularly appealing for individuals not straight out of undergrad...can't speak for everyone, but this is definitely true for me.
Northwestern '11
------------------------------
"A lawyer's time and advice is his stock in trade." 
     -Abraham Lincoln

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 01:37:33 PM »
I have been accepted to the summer start program, and I couldn't be more thrilled.  Like others have said, we will have the whole campus to ourselves, and Ann Arbor is beautiful in the summer.  We will be able to monopolize the time of the professors, act like we own the place for a while before the upperclassmen return, and possibly increase our chances at 1L summer jobs (not to mention graduating 5 months sooner and getting a permanent job).  Plus, we actually save a bit of money, because we have a semester at last year's prices instead of the higher rates in 3 years. 

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 02:32:16 PM »
I have been accepted to the summer start program, and I couldn't be more thrilled.  Like others have said, we will have the whole campus to ourselves, and Ann Arbor is beautiful in the summer.  We will be able to monopolize the time of the professors, act like we own the place for a while before the upperclassmen return, and possibly increase our chances at 1L summer jobs (not to mention graduating 5 months sooner and getting a permanent job).  Plus, we actually save a bit of money, because we have a semester at last year's prices instead of the higher rates in 3 years. 

Did any of you who were accepted get the option to start in the fall, or did they make it clear your acceptance was only for the summer start?

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 02:37:00 PM »

Did any of you who were accepted get the option to start in the fall, or did they make it clear your acceptance was only for the summer start?

I made it clear to them that I wanted to start in the summer.  I think they allow people to switch in limited situations, but it's more difficult now than ever before.

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

Petite Avocate

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 02:49:28 PM »

I made it clear to them that I wanted to start in the summer.  I think they allow people to switch in limited situations, but it's more difficult now than ever before.

Me too.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=LaPetiteAvocat
Yes, I know I've assigned myself the wrong gender on LSN. I apologize for offending the Francophones, but I'm not creating a whole new account to correct the error. Please stop leaving me messages.

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 02:57:12 PM »
i don't know if i want to do summer start anymore.  i wonder how hard it is to change to the fall.  i know that a lot of people were tryin' to get into the summer program last year and couldn't.  maybe it'll be easier the other way around.
Michigan 2L

RandyJay419

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 03:27:54 PM »
i don't know if i want to do summer start anymore.  i wonder how hard it is to change to the fall.  i know that a lot of people were tryin' to get into the summer program last year and couldn't.  maybe it'll be easier the other way around.

Perhaps if you offered them a willing substitute...

<====== <hint hint>
Northwestern '11
------------------------------
"A lawyer's time and advice is his stock in trade." 
     -Abraham Lincoln