Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: rc review  (Read 674 times)

drupito

• View Profile
rc review
« on: February 06, 2008, 12:58:39 PM »
Is it helpful to go through the rc questions of a pt after I take it?  And if so, what is the most effective way to go back through them? 
UGPA:3.57
LSAT: 160 (June 08') retaking OCT. 08'

Applying to: BYU,UCLA

sirjake

• View Profile
Re: rc review
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 01:11:22 PM »
Definitely go back through them.  I can't fathom why it wouldn't be helpful.  Even looking at them perfunctorily would seemingly help a little, if for no other reason than to familiarize yourself with the patterns all the more.  What is the alternative?  Just looking at the total right vs. wrong?  I can't imagine doing that.

The goal of going back through is to see WHY you missed the question *or* why you got it right.  Did you misunderstand the content or look to the wrong place?  Did you get one right because you guessed?  I always mark guesses in tests with a "?" so that I look over the question more carefully.  Identify the traps that they set for you.  Try to figure out how you could have gotten the question right (what words would have been helpful to have had underlined).  And look up words you didn't understand.

I'm sure other posters will have more and perhaps better suggestions, but I sincerely doubt anyone will seriously recommend not going back over it.

LSAT All Star

• Sr. Citizen
  • Keeping it simple
    • View Profile
    • All Star Test Prep
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 04:09:22 PM »
You learn more from the questions you got wrong than from the questions you got right.  For the ones you got wrong, look at the CR and figure why LSAC thinks the CR is the CR.  Learning how LSAC thinks differently than you thought is the best way to learn.
Visit us at allstartestprep.com

jamie9

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 03:43:40 PM »
You learn more from the questions you got wrong than from the questions you got right.  For the ones you got wrong, look at the CR and figure why LSAC thinks the CR is the CR.  Learning how LSAC thinks differently than you thought is the best way to learn.

I would agree, but would also add the ones you got right...but had trouble deciding on or were marginal on                                                 .  Then there's some who suggest going over every single problem, but I think that's overkill, and if you're doing as many practice runs as you should be, it's also a distraction from what you really need to be focused on. 

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 11:44:08 PM »
Another thing to pay attention to is your notation.  Did the things you marked help you answer questions?  Did you mark things that were useless?  Did you notate too much, making it hard to find things?  Did you notate too little making it hard to find things?

Tanemahuta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 01:29:03 AM »
What annoys me about RC sections compared to LR and AR is that when i 'recycle' my old preptests i tend to remember what the particular passage was about - which inevitably leads me to remembering all the answers - which... doesn't particularly help or at least see reasonably how much i've improved second time round (other than the fact that i already know the answers)!!!

Does anyone know how to improve RC without
1) having to use mock-tests by other publishers
2) having to read newspapers (since they don't have accompanying questions that confirm my actual comprehension)

or am i simply just being silly...

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 04:37:43 AM »
Just like args, look for patterns in the way they write these things.  Transitions, multiple points of view, indicators of author's tone, etc.  It's more subtle than args or games, but the patterns are there.  It's not about the answers, it's about the things that should have clued you in to the answers.