Law School Discussion

I can't honestly be the only conservative on here...

t...

• View Profile
Re: I can't honestly be the only conservative on here...
« Reply #700 on: February 10, 2008, 10:40:03 PM »
are you saying it the same way i'm saying it?

« Reply #701 on: February 10, 2008, 11:07:39 PM »
An approach taken in California to separate gay marriage and civil unions, was to define the word "marriage" as it would be used and understood by the California state constitution (the union of a man and a woman).  In that sense, marriage wouldn't apply to gay couples, polygamists, goat-lovers, etc.  While the legal rights associated with marriage could still be obtained through civil unions, marriage is strictly reserved for heterosexual couples. 

Yeah, 'cause those are all pretty much the same.

« Reply #702 on: February 10, 2008, 11:09:21 PM »
really, i can't stomach the idea of the government being able to authorize marriage of any sort.

Who else should be authorizing it?  (Or are you asking the real question, which is if anyone but the couple wishing to be married should have any authority?  I think government should recognize marriages, not authorize them.  And I think religion should be involved only if the couple wishes it to be.)

« Reply #703 on: February 10, 2008, 11:18:31 PM »
Who else should be authorizing it?  (Or are you asking the real question, which is if anyone but the couple wishing to be married should have any authority?  I think government should recognize marriages, not authorize them.  And I think religion should be involved only if the couple wishes it to be.)

maybe no one.  maybe it shouldn't exist.

or maybe it should be the couple recognizing it, and if they choose to have some sort of religious authority involved then so be it.

but marriage should not in my opinion have any legal consequences.  if you want that you should just get a civil union.

I would have to give it much more thought than I am going to now (not because I don't think you deserve a better response, but because I am dead tired and heading to bed), but I could possibly agree with that. 

Here are a few reasons why marriages at least need to be recognized. 

1.  If anyone messes with my wife, they should know why the fury is being unleashed. 
2.  If I have kids, they should know why their mother doesn't just throw me out when I am a jackass.
3.  If I ever forget, someone should remind me why I am so lucky.

Other than that, I can't think of any reasons right now, but I'm sure there are more. 

« Reply #704 on: February 11, 2008, 12:28:23 AM »
If you are arguing in favor of gay marriage, then you can't be against plural marriage.  So as far as marriage is concerned, yes those are quite similar (except for the goat-lover). 

Astro

• Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: February 11, 2008, 12:41:01 AM »
If you are arguing in favor of gay marriage, then you can't be against plural marriage.   

Oh boy.  I'd love to see THIS one explained.

« Reply #706 on: February 11, 2008, 06:56:07 AM »
If you are arguing in favor of gay marriage, then you can't be against plural marriage.   

I've heard this one before. 

Usually, it's something along the lines of the class "slippery slope" argument.  If you allow gay or lesbian couples to marry, then polygamists will demand and eventually get the same right, and so on and so forth. 

This, of course, does not logically follow.  But it's an effective straw man apparently.

t...

• View Profile
« Reply #707 on: February 11, 2008, 07:31:22 AM »

No you wouldn't - he's a f-ing moron, and not much more than that.

Sergio

• View Profile
« Reply #708 on: February 11, 2008, 10:16:39 AM »

Is Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama a "f-ing moron"?  Neither one supports gay marriage.  You, like other liberals, have the disease of insulting people who disagree with you.  Why do you do this?  Because your opinions are f-ing ridiculous and unpopular (except on this message board).

« Reply #709 on: February 11, 2008, 10:19:09 AM »

Is Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama a "f-ing moron"?  Neither one supports gay marriage.  You, like other liberals people, have the disease of insulting people who disagree with you.  Why do you do this?  Because your opinions are f-ing ridiculous and unpopular (except on this message board).

Fixt