Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: gpa -- how much does your college matter?  (Read 3201 times)

sage

• View Profile
    • Email
gpa -- how much does your college matter?
« on: March 19, 2004, 10:43:53 PM »
If this topic has been discussed on the previous 12 (!) pages, please forgive me and direct me there....

So, I go to a top-3 liberal arts college, take hard and diverse classes, and expect to graduate with around a 3.6 GPA.  Based on how my high school friends are doing, I'm pretty sure if I went to State U of XYZ and just took classes in my major I'd have a 3.9-4.0.  No LSAT's yet.  Probably get 160-170.

Assuredly, law school admission departments know certain schools are harder than others, but can someone predict (based on something more than pure conjecture) what my GPA might "translate" to in their minds?  I'm trying to get a feel for what might be "reasonables" and "reaches". 

xrayspec

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: gpa -- how much does your college matter?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 11:07:06 PM »
What is the college?

There's no way of reconciling the subjective differences in grading practices & curriculum difficulty so nobody tries. That's why the LSAT was invented, to have a national standard for comparing performance.

I have a 3.46 from Harvard. Harvard is a good name. But it is also known for major grade inflation. But I went 12 yrs ago when inflation was less pernicious, But I was in the art dept. Et cetera ....

sage

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2004, 11:23:03 PM »
williams

lawstudent2004

• Sr. Citizen
  • 160 LSAT and 3.48 GPA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2004, 10:30:28 AM »
I went to a small university that does not rank high in anything as far as I know.  It doesn't appear that they downgraded my GPA (from an unranked school) as I have received 4 acceptance letters and 0 rejections.  Doesn't seem fair but I'm not going to argue about it. 

Good luck

Victor

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2004, 11:17:24 AM »
I went to a small university that does not rank high in anything as far as I know.  It doesn't appear that they downgraded my GPA (from an unranked school) as I have received 4 acceptance letters and 0 rejections.  Doesn't seem fair but I'm not going to argue about it. 

Good luck

are you on lawschoolnumbers?

r_poster

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2004, 10:59:40 PM »
Sage,

Some schools use (or once used) formulas that add points to GPAs from certain schools.  Boalt Hall once used such formulas (I don't believe they do any longer) and made them public.  Williams GPAs got a decent boost in those rankings.  However, the truth is, school prestige won't help much in the numbers part of the game nowadays.  An LSDAS GPA from school A is equivalent to an identical LSDAS GPA from school B no matter what the reputation of the schools.  When index scores are calculated, it doesn't matter where the GPA came from.

Williams does give you an advantage in one regard.  Once in committee, I think the school name sometimes buys a little extra respect.  This is in part because the average student at Williams has an LSAT score in the mid 160s.  So, to some degree, a middling class rank and GPA are not as damaging as they are at other schools.  If you can get the right LSAT score, even a "low" GPA at Williams will get you into some great schools. 

You go to a great school.  You've got great opportunities.  Don't sweat your GPA too much.  Work hard, do well on the LSAT and you will have your pick of schools.

dsds3581

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2004, 01:38:22 AM »
Yeah, your GPA is great from Williams. If I had to guess about what a school who actually adds points for undergrad school rep would put your GPA at, it'd probably be about a 3.7 or 3.8. Either way, with a good LSAT score, you would get into some pretty good schools.

lawstudent2004

• Sr. Citizen
  • 160 LSAT and 3.48 GPA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2004, 03:35:36 PM »
Victor

Yes, joelgriffith

In @ U of Houston, STCL ($7150/yr), Texas Tech, Texas Wesleyan.  Still waiting to hear from Baylor.  All 4 tier except Houston.  I have decided on Texas Tech and am still waiting to see if I will receive a $7500/yr scholarship.

jenea79

• 3.61/158
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2004, 06:59:38 PM »
thank you  lawstudent2004.

i am trying to get into u of h. my lsat was a 158 and gpa of 3.61. i have strong rec's. but my school sucks. i was in the navy and so i did a lot of long distance learning.
i hope i can get your seat!!

camelbx

• 164/2.95
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2004, 04:32:32 PM »
Just to point out how weird the app process is.
164/2.95

In at Tech ($), Baylor (?), Stcl($) but out of Houston FAST. And you're in there but waiting on Baylor. Odd.