Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Location, location, location...  (Read 1246 times)

stephster416

• View Profile
    • Email
Location, location, location...
« on: February 05, 2008, 11:38:27 PM »
Ok, I'm sure there are already threads on this, but how big of a factor is location for most of you? I just got into Cornell today which is by far the best school I've been accepted to so far. However, knowing myself I'm pretty sure I can't handle not being in a city - and so far I'm in at Brooklyn and Cardozo (w/ a full ride). So would it be crazy for me to choose one of those over a much more prestigious school? (If Fordham would actually get back to me on my application in the next century that would help matters too...)
In - Cornell, Brooklyn, Cardozo ($$$), Baylor ($$$), Notre Dame ($), Washington & Lee ($$), Loyola ($)

laurenlaw

• View Profile
Re: Location, location, location...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 11:45:21 PM »
It was up in the air for me.  Location was important in the sense that I wanted to be in one particular type of place, in my case a non-city.  I would have loved to go to school in an area like Cornell.  Instead, I'm in NYC, and I'm enjoying it.  I think that location is one of those things where, once you make a decision about the school, you've got to decide to enjoy.  I didn't even visit my school beforehand on the off chance that NYC would scare me off.  When it comes to the larger scheme of things, if you know yourself well enough to know you CANNOT be happy in the area, don't go.  Otherwise, go out on a limb and be uncomfortable.

oh noze

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 07:07:32 AM »
Ok, I'm sure there are already threads on this, but how big of a factor is location for most of you? I just got into Cornell today which is by far the best school I've been accepted to so far. However, knowing myself I'm pretty sure I can't handle not being in a city - and so far I'm in at Brooklyn and Cardozo (w/ a full ride). So would it be crazy for me to choose one of those over a much more prestigious school? (If Fordham would actually get back to me on my application in the next century that would help matters too...)

I think location would help me decide if I were trying to pick from a school outside of the T14, but I wouldn't have any doubts at all about choosing Cornell over one of the lower ranked schools, especially ones that rank as low (relatively) as Brooklyn or Cardozo. You're right though, Fordham would make the decision tougher, especially since they're consistently improving and will likely rise in rank over the next decade, and given that I'm not entering the job market for 7 years due to my upcoming military law contract, I would comfortably gamble on that. I do hate Ithaca with a passion though, and every Cornell grad in my extended family hated the school and the location. I still hope I get in though. :(

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 07:24:47 AM »
that's weird, dter, because most of the Cornell grads I know adored the school and didn't seem to mind Ithaca. 

I was ready to pick Cornell two years ago (the first time I applied to law school), but when I actually visited Ithaca I knew I could never handle the location.  instead of settling, I took some time off and reapplied.  it worked out better for me, but I'm sure not everyone would chose that path.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 10:01:15 AM »
going to cornell, even if it means sucking it up for a while and living in ithaca, beats a full ride at cardozo or brooklyn.  fordham with significant money might complicate the question, but i say go to cornell and just learn to deal with it.  sooner or later you'll have to learn how to handle not being in a city anyway.  ;)

i agree - if you're committed to going this year, there's a big enough prestige/opportunity difference between cornell and the other two schools that this makes sense.

on the other hand, if you don't have your sights set on big law, clerkships, or academia, then it might not be crazy to pass up Cornell if you know you'll be miserable there.  if you don't care what kind of firm you work for upon graduation (what do you want to do post-grad, incidentally?) then the benefit of the Cornell name might not be as vital.

in either case, you should definitely go to the admitted students day and check it out.  just don't do what i did and take a greyhound there, or you will hate ithaca FOREVER.

LSN

Signal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 10:56:33 AM »
Location is really important to me. I help to take care of my grandparents and foster three kids in town. I can't imagine abandoning them, and so I chose to apply only to schools in my city (or to one school where I knew I had family that could help out). I'm not sure I'd like a rural setting, but I'd be much more open to it if there weren't outside factors. Does this mean that I'll have to go to a lower ranked school than might otherwise have been possible? Most likely, yes. I know being at a high ranked school is important, but I don't think it is the end all.

jnb983

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 10:59:18 AM »
Location is a big factor for me, too.  As a city person, I completely understand your concern about living in the middle of nowhere.  I visited Cornell last year and decided that I would rather jump into one of those gorges than live there for 3 years.  I really liked some of their programs, but couldn't imagine going through the challenges of law school living somewhere that I was really unhappy with.

Like everyone else said, go visit all of your schools. Reputation isn't that important if you won't be able to be successful at your prestigious school. Find the right fit for you.
yo: Gtown($$), RU-C($), GW($), UIUC($$), Northwestern($)
no-go: Berkeley, H, Y, UChi
so-so: Fordham, Mich, UCLA, Columbia, Vandy, UVA, Penn, NYU 

el ess en

etmerian

• Sr. Citizen
  • UM '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 11:23:26 AM »
Location pretty much dictated where I applied.  I didn't want to go too far away from home (Florida), since it's probably where I want to practice, unless it was a phenomenal opportunity, like top 10 - which obviously wasn't really in the cards.

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 11:26:10 AM »
Visit.
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 12:44:42 PM »
I went to Cornell and LOVED Ithaca for all four years I was there.  Unless you are really desperate to be in a city, I wouldn't rule Ithaca out. The law school is beautiful and so are the surroundings, and there is a pretty significant grad student community with their own bars and housing.  Ithaca itself is a very cool atmosphere with nice restaurants, lots of wineries, and a good community feel. 

Also, the dining hall in the law school is AMAZING.  The dining hall alone makes it worth it, trust me.   ;D

haha, i'm going to have to disagree with you there.

LSN