Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Deferred at Harvard... Should I tell them about other schools?  (Read 1221 times)

und3r3stimat3d

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Deferred at Harvard... Should I tell them about other schools?
« on: February 05, 2008, 01:33:38 PM »
Just got my deferral/hold from Harvard, which was expected. What's the proper etiquette now... can I tell them about Stanford and how I appreciate Harvard's size/location/focus more than Stanford's or is it ridiculous to even bring up that their competitor let me in? I think I might like Stanford a little bit more than Harvard, but I'm an east coast guy, so H gets the edge overall, if I had a choice between them.

RedNinja

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Deferred at Harvard... Should I tell them about other schools?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 04:45:30 PM »
Hmm, I don't think so. Look at it from Toby's perspective.

Before: You're a qualified candidate who I like who is JUST below the cutoff I might end up making for this year's cycle. I like you and think you really want to come to Harvard because I think Harvard is the best school you're going to get into. I'm going to hold your file and try to let you in later on, it would look good for our yield rates.

After: You're a qualified candidate who I like who is JUST below the cutoff I might end up making for this year's cycle. I like you but you got into one of the few programs in the nation that students choose over HLS. Chances are about 50/50 you'll come here. Nah, not worth the risk when I can admit others like you who absolutely say yes.

aporia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 05:22:49 PM »
Agreed.  I would send a letter indicating your interest and alluding to the fact that you would accept the offer of admission, if extended (as long as this is true, of course).  But I wouldn't try to play on their sense of superiority by touting the Stanford acceptance.  I think that'll get you on their bad side.
Columbia 2011

ghil04

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 05:42:41 PM »
When you're deferred/wait-listed, you don't really have much leverage to work with.  If anything, you should be showing Harvard why it should admit you, not the other way around (e.g., why should I choose you, Harvard?).

TeresaPinfold

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 05:49:11 PM »
Yeah, telling them seems very counterintuitive. It's bad for expected yield and it seems to them like they are helping you less, which they probably want to do, everything else being equal. Beyond the fact of you having gotten in, the fact that you are telling them may make them think you perceive Stanford admissions as more discerning in some way or that you are bragging or trying to show them up (like Harlan Ellison sending his old writing teacher who criticized his work a copy of every work he had published for the rest of his life).

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 09:27:36 PM »
It's not quite wholly counter-intuitive. If HLS really wants to play the rankings game and the OP is convincing, they might accept him to @#!* with SLS's yield. That said, it's not very couth, so I'd figure out a different way to let them know that HLS is your first choice.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

und3r3stimat3d

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 01:24:43 AM »
anyone want to read the letter I drafted to Harvard?

. . . . . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 01:43:35 AM »
i would like to read it

newtothis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 01:47:15 AM »
anyone want to read the letter I drafted to Harvard?

I'll take a look.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=newtothis
Updated with $$ offers
Stats are now unfudged

Ben Matlock

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 03:08:19 AM »
This has been pointed out before, but yield is NOT a factor for the USNWR rankings. Only the proportion of applicants accepted matters for law school (yield matters a lot for undergrad, I believe).

I would like to see the letter you drafted, underestimated.