Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fee Waiver = Acceptance?  (Read 1544 times)

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fee Waiver = Acceptance?
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 01:31:58 PM »
I got a fee waiver at Cardozo and was waitlisted.  I got a fee waiver at Temple and was accepted.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 01:37:38 PM »
i think your numbers/URM status are almost always a better predictor of an acceptance than a fee waiver.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

LuvHurtz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 01:39:00 PM »
i think your numbers/URM status are almost always a better predictor of an acceptance than a fee waiver.

TITCR

I have been rejected by schools that have sent me waivers. It doesn't really matter for much IMO.

stewie griffin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 01:45:15 PM »
Michigan was careful to point out that while getting a fee waiver from them is usually a good sign - I think they said that 50% of fee waiver applicants get in - it is by no means a guarantee of acceptance.  As for other schools, who knows?
Temple University Beasley School of Law 2011

you fine american.

Final record: 5-1-4

pulvillus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 01:58:34 PM »
hehe, i love these threads.

i think fee waivers go out to a small number of people who are tooootally getting in, but whose numbers are high enough that they might not apply because they think they are too good for the school.  i think the vast majority of people get fee waivers because they will probably get rejected and they will help increase a school's selectivity rating.  i think this is MORE true near the end of the cycle, when schools are just trying to get a flood of applications so they can report an unprecedented increase in interest in their school.

Actually, I got a ton of waivers from schools I am too good for  ;). As for the schools I actually applied to, I got waivers to three of them, only one of which hasn't accepted me yet because of a delay in my application(luckily they also waived the deadline for me).

that's my point!

for the schools you've been accepted to, was either your LSAT or GPA below the middle 50%?

My GPA was right around the 50%, while my LSAT was above the 75%.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 02:00:18 PM »
My GPA was right around the 50%, while my LSAT was above the 75%.

There ya go.

I think the people who fall in the "tragically misled" category are more the 50%/25% or 25%/25% folks...everyone else stands at least a little chance.

LSN

luckyshot

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 06:33:40 PM »
Considering you can sometimes get a fee waiver just by asking (I received 4 FWs this way), I dont think they are very indicative of admission.

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 10:56:44 PM »
For what it's worth, my two fee waivers ended in rejection(Michigan) and waitlist, never any further word (pretty rude, UCLA!). I got into Cornell and USC, where I now attend.

Fight on!

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 11:19:59 PM »
For what it's worth, my two fee waivers ended in rejection(Michigan) and waitlist, never any further word (pretty rude, UCLA!). I got into Cornell and USC, where I now attend.

Fight on!

hey moderator - you wanna sticky the "rejected today" thread?

LSN

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 06:02:05 AM »

Fight on!

hey moderator - you wanna sticky the "rejected today" thread?

PM me the link and I will get to it during property tomorrow assuming I don't get distracted by fee simple absolute.