Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UMich: write an optional essay?  (Read 475 times)

oh noze

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
UMich: write an optional essay?
« on: February 05, 2008, 10:48:19 AM »
I'm pondering submitting an optional essay or two to UMich. I applied in early Jan about an hour before leaving for a 2-week vacation in Israel, and I went complete a couple of weeks ago. I didn't do any of the optional essays, though, and with my numbers (166, 3.73), my chances of getting accepted are extremely slim. Would an optional essay help at all, or am I probably going to get rejected anyway? FWIW, I submitted the following addendums with my app: LSAT, Academic and Diversity. I *may* have submitted one of the addendums as an optional essay, I know I did that for a couple of schools; I can't recall off the top of my head.

Hammerstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UMich: write an optional essay?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 10:57:29 AM »
I'm pretty sure one of the optional essays was more or less a diversity statement question.  You can check online at LSAC to see what you did, anyways.

Anyways, to answer your question:  I suspect answering some optional statements will slightly increase your chance of admission.  The reason?  You've shown some interest in the school beyond the bare minimum.  The fact that Michigan lets you write two optional statements suggests, to me, that Michigan wants you to show real interest.
CLS 2011.  All done.

Signal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 10:59:36 AM »
I agree that it certainly can't hurt. It seems most schools especially appreciate the Why X essays. With your chances already being slim, I would do whatever possible to increase them.

oh noze

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 01:09:13 PM »
Thanks for the feedback! Guess I'll write another one. I just looked over my app and it looks like I submitted my Academic Addendum as Essay #4 (Describe a failure or a setback in your life). Out of the remaining essays, should I do #1 (Why UMich) or the more generic #6 (Values of a good lawyer)?

Signal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 01:11:40 PM »
I'd vote #1.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 01:16:23 PM »
your application is already complete and is being reviewed.  i think it's a bad idea to submit more materials at this juncture.  you've only been complete for a few weeks.  if you send in another essay, they'll have to pull your app from the pile, match it up with your new materials, and then put it BACK in the pile...huge hassle, it's going to slow up your app, you're being paranoid, it's not worth it.  save the additional essay in case you're waitlisted.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

RandyJay419

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 01:45:06 PM »
your application is already complete and is being reviewed.  i think it's a bad idea to submit more materials at this juncture.  you've only been complete for a few weeks.  if you send in another essay, they'll have to pull your app from the pile, match it up with your new materials, and then put it BACK in the pile...huge hassle, it's going to slow up your app, you're being paranoid, it's not worth it.  save the additional essay in case you're waitlisted.

LoveButton, I just posted in another thread that the waiting game has left me on the verge of submitting additional materials to UMich.  Your wise words have pulled me back from the ledge...for now.  Thanks!  :)
Northwestern '11
------------------------------
"A lawyer's time and advice is his stock in trade." 
     -Abraham Lincoln

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 01:51:23 PM »

LoveButton, I just posted in another thread that the waiting game has left me on the verge of submitting additional materials to UMich.  Your wise words have pulled me back from the ledge...for now.  Thanks!  :)

lol, I'm glad I could be of service. 

Incidentally, I just checked your LSN, and I have two immediate reactions:

1) you JUST applied...you're going to have quite a bit more waiting ahead of you  :'(

2) your numbers are really solid, and you've got a great shot everywhere.  i'm certain you'll be getting some great news by mid-march.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

BurtsBees

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 01:52:19 PM »
First of all, I think two of the six choices were explain why you have diversity and is there any reason your LSAT and GPA don't accurately reflect your performance.  Thus, you have already submitted the two optional essays.

Second, I disagree with Love Button on this one.  I don't actually envision a gigantic pile on the middle of the table of files that are right in front of the Ad Comm.  I was complete for 2-3 days when I did exactly what OP was asking if he/she should do.  Perhaps it is different since they were complete for a couple of weeks, but I really don't envision it slowing down the process.  Furthermore, if it helps admissions chances at all, isn't it worth waiting additional time?  Also, it's not like the actually Ad Comm member is the one who adds it to your file; rather, some staff member of the admissions office would. 

The again, the more I think about it, I sent a Why Duke essay after I was complete for a couple of weeks and it has taken my app much longer than others who have been accepted with similar numbers.  So maybe I'm incorrect ???

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 02:21:44 PM »
As Jimmy T pointed out, you've already submitted two optional essays.  If you submit another one now, you're clearly going against their instructions.  Will the additional benefit of the essay outweigh the drawback of not following instructions?  Who knows.  If I were you, I'd just leave it as is, then send an additional essay as a LOCI if necessary.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn