Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need help on this Logical Reasoning problem  (Read 1193 times)

JesusProject

• View Profile
Need help on this Logical Reasoning problem
« on: February 04, 2008, 10:42:29 PM »
One cannot prepare a good meal from bad food, produce good food from bad soil, maintain good soil without good farming, or have good farminig without a  culture that places value on the proper maintenance of all its natural resources so that needed supplies are always available.

Which one of the following can be properly inferred from rosen's statement?

A) The creation of good meals depends on both natural and cultural conditions.

C) Good soil is a prerequisite of good farming.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A is the correct answer, but why is C wrong? Does prerequisite indicate sufficient or necessary?

My diagram looks like this:

GM--GFD--GS--GF--C
I really hate fat people

armada

• Sr. Citizen
  • I have people to go and places to see!
    • View Profile
Re: Need help on this Logical Reasoning problem
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 10:51:16 PM »
I got confused trying to diagram this but it just made it more confusing.  I think C was wrong because the stimulus says that you cannot maintain good soil without good farming which pretty much means that good farming is necessary to maintain good soil. C seemed to have it backwards. 

ssilver0210

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Silverman Bar Preparation
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 11:33:24 PM »
We're told that you need good farming to maintain good soil. So, we can infer that good farming is a prerequisite to maintaining good soil. Nowhere are we told that you need to maintain good soil in order to have good farming, so we cannot infer that good soil is a prerequisite to good farming.

As for choice A, culture effects the farming, which effects the soil, which effects the food, which effects the creation of good meals. So, the creation of good meals depends on both natural conditions (farming, soil, etc) and cultural conditions (a culture that places value on the proper maintenance of all its natural resources).
I provide tutoring both for the LSAT and the MBE at very reasonable rates.  I provide a free hour to all students to try out the tutoring.  Feel free to contact me at silvermanbarprep@gmail.com for tutoring inquires or to set up a free lesson. Visit my blog @ http://www.mbetutorial.blogspot.com

JesusProject

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 11:53:39 PM »
i see, is the word "prerequisite" generally understood as the necessary?
I really hate fat people

ssilver0210

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 12:08:38 AM »
A prerequisite in this argument (and generally speaking) simply means that one thing is necessary before something else can occur. So, for example, according to this argument, good farming is necessary before you can maintain good soil.

This, however, should not be confused with the statement that good farming is sufficient for maintaining good soil. Good farming, along with other factors, may be needed to maintain the soil. So the good farming is necessary, but may not be sufficient.
I provide tutoring both for the LSAT and the MBE at very reasonable rates.  I provide a free hour to all students to try out the tutoring.  Feel free to contact me at silvermanbarprep@gmail.com for tutoring inquires or to set up a free lesson. Visit my blog @ http://www.mbetutorial.blogspot.com

JesusProject

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 12:17:35 AM »
thankyou very much. all makes sense now.
I really hate fat people

ssilver0210

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 12:20:48 AM »
Not a problem.  Glad I could help :)

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 02:18:46 AM »
One cannot prepare a good meal from bad food, produce good food from bad soil, maintain good soil without good farming, or have good farminig without a  culture that places value on the proper maintenance of all its natural resources so that needed supplies are always available.

Which one of the following can be properly inferred from rosen's statement?

A) The creation of good meals depends on both natural and cultural conditions.

C) Good soil is a prerequisite of good farming.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A is the correct answer, but why is C wrong? Does prerequisite indicate sufficient or necessary?

My diagram looks like this:

GM--GFD--GS--GF--C

Your diagram is right.  Just understand that everything on the right is necessary for what is on the left.  GFD, GS, GF, and C are all necessary for GM.  GF and C are necessary for GS, and C is necessary for GF and so-on.

C says "Good soil is a prerequisite of good farming." but your diagram says GS-->GF, which means, "Good farming is a prerequisite for good soil."

argo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 02:55:55 AM »
A prerequisite in this argument (and generally speaking) simply means that one thing is necessary before something else can occur. So, for example, according to this argument, good farming is necessary before you can maintain good soil.

This, however, should not be confused with the statement that good farming is sufficient for maintaining good soil. Good farming, along with other factors, may be needed to maintain the soil. So the good farming is necessary, but may not be sufficient.

Oh, really?  GF -> GS (Good Farming IS sufficient for maintaining Good Soil) according to the stimulus.  Answer choice C confuses sufficient and necessary.  Besides, even if it were correct, it would be a restatement of one of the premises, NOT an inference.

So, if you interpret "prerequisite" to mean "necessary", you are dead wrong on this explanation.  If you interpret it as "sufficient" then it is not an inference.

In an absence of a clear definition of the word "prerequisite" I, personally, in the interest of time, would be inclined to discard any answer choice that contains it.  But this is my personal hack, which may or may not work in every case.
--
"And that is what is so great about the Internet. It enables pompous blowhards to connect with other pompous blowhards in a vast circle-jerk of pomposity."

-Bill Maher

mentor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 03:00:02 PM »
Oh, really?  GF -> GS (Good Farming IS sufficient for maintaining Good Soil) according to the stimulus.  Answer choice C confuses sufficient and necessary.  Besides, even if it were correct, it would be a restatement of one of the premises, NOT an inference.

So, if you interpret "prerequisite" to mean "necessary", you are dead wrong on this explanation.  If you interpret it as "sufficient" then it is not an inference.

In an absence of a clear definition of the word "prerequisite" I, personally, in the interest of time, would be inclined to discard any answer choice that contains it.  But this is my personal hack, which may or may not work in every case.

GF in that inference means 'good food.'  If you 'cannot maintain good soil without good farming' as per the stimulus good farming is necessary for good soil.

Prerequisite means 'necessary.'

The whole chain:

GMeal --> GFood --> GSoil --> GFarm --> Natural, Cultural conditions

or, a shorter explanation:

EarlCat is right and you are wrong.
San Diego LSAT Tutor
lsatsd@gmail.com