Law School Discussion

Transfer to YHS

hollowman988

• I took her home after midnight...
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer to YHS
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 10:31:42 PM »
I heard there also needs be some personal reason....(I need to be in the Boston area because)...

Is this true/untrue?

Untrue.  Obviously these places are going to be much more receptive to you blowing a bunch of smoke up their asses w/r/t the 'unparalleled academic and post-grad opportunities' they offer than b/c you need to spoon with your girlfriend instead of using one of the nifty gadgets from sinulator.com. 

GOB

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 12:17:04 AM »
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transferapps/

I believe this Yahoo group has anecdotal data about transferring.  You could join the group and search for any info on transferring, especially for H.  I don't know how helpful it will be for YS. 

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 05:14:24 AM »
i don't understand the urge to transfer.  in doing so, you give up your faculty connections, your chance to be on law review, and what must be a high rank at a good school.  seems like you're doing more harm than good, all just to get a better "name" on your diploma?  come on.  if you don't get into a school you'd be happy at for three years, then don't go an reapply another year.

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 08:23:30 AM »
Guys in my high school used to transfer to YLS all the time. It was no big deal.

edaze

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 08:30:05 AM »
i don't understand the urge to transfer.  in doing so, you give up your faculty connections, your chance to be on law review, and what must be a high rank at a good school.  seems like you're doing more harm than good, all just to get a better "name" on your diploma?  come on.  if you don't get into a school you'd be happy at for three years, then don't go an reapply another year.

You're not necessarily giving up on law review.

For aspiring legal academics, moreover, graduating in the top 5% at any t14 just isn't sufficient. the HYS brand makes it much easier.

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 08:41:39 AM »
With the grades it would take to transfer, it probably wouldn't be worth transferring anyway. For S, you're going to need a reason showing why you want to move west. Yale accepts like 1-2, you need to be near the top of your class and have the backstory. H is a bit more accepting, but it's not like people are leaving, so it's still really hard.

If you have the grades to transfer, it's not really worth transferring, especially considering you'd be leaving all your friends behind (unless you're an anti-social gunner, in which case you're screwed anyway).

edaze

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 08:46:18 AM »
With the grades it would take to transfer, it probably wouldn't be worth transferring anyway. For S, you're going to need a reason showing why you want to move west. Yale accepts like 1-2, you need to be near the top of your class and have the backstory. H is a bit more accepting, but it's not like people are leaving, so it's still really hard.

Wanting to go into academa is a good reason. In fact, it is THE most often used reason for transferring into HYS. They know they're the gateway to top professorships (HLS has a DVD on it, and YLS is pretty much the breeding ground for profs).

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2008, 09:39:22 AM »

For aspiring legal academics, moreover, graduating in the top 5% at any t14 just isn't sufficient. the HYS brand makes it much easier.

i can understand it for academia, but that's pretty much it.

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 03:15:34 PM »

i can understand it for academia, but that's pretty much it.

That's about the only reason.

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 03:59:33 PM »
Guys in my high school used to transfer to YLS all the time. It was no big deal.

Amazing. This literally made me LOL; I'd been missing the FratStud commentary lately...