Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hofstra  (Read 4368 times)

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hofstra
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 10:28:16 AM »
Did they move into their new facilities there yet? When I took my LSAT there (Oct '06), it seemed like many of their law school classes were held in basement classrooms in a building near the law library. I understand that the classes were going to be relocated into a better part of the university, but I'm not sure when/if that happened...
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

chevelle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2008, 09:47:23 AM »
I'm a 2L there. The majority of their classes are not in a basement. They are held in the law school, with a few smaller classes held in a room of a building next to the law school.

As for professors, it is like any other school. Some are good, some are awful.

The actual school is not in the greatest part of Long Island (Hempstead). But the part of Hempstead people are really referring to when they talk about how bad the area is is actually farther east. The school owns a dorm building for grad students in the bad area. Don't live there.

Viking Quest

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 02:07:58 PM »
New York's governor-to-be, David Paterson, is a Hofstra Law alum. 

Brigadoon

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2008, 12:28:36 PM »
I am interested in learning anything anyone has to say about Hofstra.  I have also noticed a lot, i mean a lot, of trash talking the school, but there doesnt seem to be any basis for it.

As far as housing goes, where should law students live.  I'm not from the east coast, and i dont know anyone, so graduate housing sounded best, but if its in a bad part of town?  I heard that the grad housing was nice and brand new?  Anything to that?

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2008, 12:51:24 PM »
trash talking the school, but there doesnt seem to be any basis for it.

I wanted to go to Hofstra at the beginning of the cycle, but the basis for my deciding against it was cost vs. employment prospects in the most crowded market in the world/mobility of the degree.  The university itself probably doesnt deserve the reputation it has, but if you were to judge it against its competition (Touro, NYLS, Pace, St. Johns, Brooklyn, Cardozo, Fordham, Columbia, NYU, Cornell, Seton Hall, Rutgers)...well you have to look at where you'll be in 7 years.

Brigadoon

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2008, 04:12:23 PM »
Thanks for your input, where did you decide to go instead?

Does anyone else have a position on Hofstra.  I have heard some argue that its reputation is quite good.  Of course it's not NYU, but its a good school none the less.  Also, the US News ranking puts it at 99. Any thoughts?

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2008, 08:47:13 AM »
Its Suffolk or nothing now.  If I had known what I know now, I would have only applied to Northeastern, Suffolk, UConn, and Suny.  Regional & Price>All (by living at home and attending NEU and Suffolk its like I received a living stipend, and I could have in-state tuition in CT after the first year).

As far as Hofstra or any T2 NYC...the markets glutted right now, and the competition is fierce...top 10% or bust.  Hofstras at the bottom of the pile, but on the top price wise.  If you wanted to work at a midlaw firm or start a family practice on LI, id say the alumni network and area rep would do you well.  Otherwise, its a pricey option for NYC firms.