Law School Discussion

Emory v UNC in overall prestige?

Emory v UNC in overall prestige?
« on: February 04, 2008, 04:06:09 PM »
or other factors...

just hoping to get a sense between the two in case i end up having to decide between them

Re: Emory v UNC in overall prestige?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 04:07:38 PM »
or other factors...

just hoping to get a sense between the two in case i end up having to decide between them

There is no significant difference in prestige between these two. Flip a coin

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 04:08:57 PM »
i know that emory law school is ranked higher by most ranking boards...but in my opinion, being from south carolina, chapel hill has a much better reputation in the carolinas, simply because of the poor quality of life in atlanta, and the high quality of their other programs (i.e. undergrad, med school, etc.)  

*PLUS chapel hill is a hell of a lot more beautiful an area than atlanta

gowi

• Emory '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 05:02:50 PM »
Poor quality of life?!? lol, please explain.

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 08:16:10 PM »
I think they are both looked upon highly in the south. If you definitely want to work in Atlanta, I would say go to Emory, as it will be easy to make connections. But if I were in that decision, I would choose UNC, no contest. North Carolina is beautiful, the school has a strong presence in the south overall, and its cheaper (tuition AND cost of living). I think the difference in prestige, whether Emory is higher or UNC is higher, is very minimal and wont make a huge difference in the long run.

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 11:20:29 PM »
Poor quality of life?!? lol, please explain.

i don't know if you've ever spent any time in georgia...especially atlanata, but it's hot, muggy, and crime-infested.  Downtown is beautiful, don't get me wrong, and there are some nice subdivisions, but overall, it CANNOT COMPETE with western North Carolina...not by a mile.  Being that close to the appalachians and in north carolina in general is MUCH BETTER

gowi

• Emory '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 07:35:46 AM »
OMG, have I ever spent any time in Georgia? Have you? I live here. I really hope people do their own research and don't listen to this BS. Emory is far from downtown Atlanta.

gclemen1

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 07:42:32 AM »
yeah Gowi is right.  Decatur is nothing like downtown Atlanta.  In your comparison, you are comparing a major city to a small town.  It cannot be done face to face.  UNC might have a lot of trees, but Atlanta has federal district courts, the 11th circuit court of appeals, and state district courts and the state supreme court all within an arms reach.  There is a great nightlife and plenty of opportunities.  Atlanta is a very nice place to be.  It is hot in the summer, but this is the South after all.  Crime infested in arguable, every city has crime.  The neighborhoods that are not in downtown ATL are pretty nice, and Georgia is all about the tress.  Don't listen to this guy, because he really doesn't know what Atlanta is all about.

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 08:23:25 AM »
yeah Gowi is right.  Decatur is nothing like downtown Atlanta.  In your comparison, you are comparing a major city to a small town.  It cannot be done face to face.  UNC might have a lot of trees, but Atlanta has federal district courts, the 11th circuit court of appeals, and state district courts and the state supreme court all within an arms reach.  There is a great nightlife and plenty of opportunities.  Atlanta is a very nice place to be.  It is hot in the summer, but this is the South after all.  Crime infested in arguable, every city has crime.  The neighborhoods that are not in downtown ATL are pretty nice, and Georgia is all about the tress.  Don't listen to this guy, because he really doesn't know what Atlanta is all about.

Agreed that this mostly comes down to geographic preference.

While I hardly hold USNWR as Gospel, UNC did take a massive slide down last year by 9 spots to #36. While a few spots of jockeying is common within the Top-30, I cannot remember seeing that much of a negative move in the past few years.

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 08:37:56 PM »
I think they are both looked upon highly in the south. If you definitely want to work in Atlanta, I would say go to Emory, as it will be easy to make connections. But if I were in that decision, I would choose UNC, no contest. North Carolina is beautiful, the school has a strong presence in the south overall, and its cheaper (tuition AND cost of living). I think the difference in prestige, whether Emory is higher or UNC is higher, is very minimal and wont make a huge difference in the long run.

Atlanta's cost of living is actually quite reasonable, its cheaper to live there than in Gainesville (UF), which is a small, rural college town with a population of 100k.