Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BC Law - admitted student visit/housing  (Read 2526 times)

frederickvs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
BC Law - admitted student visit/housing
« on: February 04, 2008, 12:13:53 AM »
Hey guys. I am going to visit BC towards the end of February and am curious if anybody is visiting around the same time. I am going to take a look around for apartments, so if that's something of interest to you and/or you want somebody to accompany you, please let me know.

RockShox007

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: BC Law - admitted student visit/housing
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 02:53:08 AM »
Same question but for the admitted student's open house on April 4th

RockShox007

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 01:01:20 PM »
I also think I'm going to the open house in April but I was thinking of visiting earlier . . . do you guys have any idea what you're going to do in terms of a housing search and trying to find roomates?  The only avenue I've investigated is Craigslist but I feel like there must be a better way.

Same here, just craigslist and the grad housing online.  I think I'm just going to look around in April to see what's out there, and if I find a roommate at the open house then great, but if not then I'll just stick to a studio.  I'm also trying to figure out if I need to bring a car or not....

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 02:22:03 PM »
I'm about 75% sure on BC.  I, too, want to look around Boston for some apartments.  I'd like to live alone, but having a roommate has the huge advantage of getting a better place for less money.

I've decided that I will be bringing my car, so I'll need a place to park which can be a real hassle...but so is carrying your groceries.

Also, I'm thinking about visiting in a couple weeks and also going to the ASD if I'm still certain on BC. 
I Choo-Choo-Choose you:  Boston College Law School, Class of 2011

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 04:05:58 PM »
I thank you kindly, good sir.  I'll almost assuredly be at the ASD, if for no reason other than the fact that I love Boston and haven't been in three years.

Also, Minor Threat rocks.

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 04:31:30 PM »
Ah!  I'm sorry about that mixup. 

As for myself, I really dislike the cold.  It didn't take many Chicago winters after living in Florida to learn this.  However, I do really like Boston.  It is pretty chilly there (though not as bad as Chicago, most of the time), but in my mind it's entirely worth it.  There's a lot to do, and it's a very manageable city.  It's not as spread out as a lot of cities, so it's easier to get around. 

Myself, I was gonna start my search by looking around the NEU campus area, and Allston-Brighton.  Allston-Brighton is pretty cool, and has a lot of students.

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 06:44:14 PM »
CL is kind of the dregs of apartment hunting.  You can find great deals sometimes if people are telling the truth about their place...but sometimes it's a little unnerving thinking that you're looking for a place to live at the same site that someone else is looking for a couple who is into mild bondage.

In thinking about how I've found apartments in the past, I usually walked around/drove around a neighborhood looking for "for rent" signs.  Unfortunately I don't quite have the ability to do that in Boston, though maybe when I take a visit I can snoop around.

Disliking snow though...that may be a problem ;)   I was once in Boston in February, and it snowed something like 30 inches in two days.  It was absolutely absurd.  The spring, summer, and fall more than make up for it though.  I absolutely love Boston when it's warm.  Hopefully the sweaters will keep you warm enough to withstand the winter.

RockShox007

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 10:54:35 PM »
Ahhh I'm nervous about the cold too.... not that I don't think I can't handle it, but Ive grown up in Arizona my whole life, so its more of an issue of QOL and general happiness.  I was thinking about taking a quick weekend trip out there in the next week or two to see what the deal is but not sure if I'll have time... If anyone has any other apartment finding ideas for the ASW please share!

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 11:57:31 PM »
You know, I thought the cold would motivate me to study more, too, but it actually didn't help too much, lol.  Hopefully the cold combined with the greater incentive to do well in law school will keep me motivated.  Really though, cold is kind of a state of mind thing.  Most of your day is spent in 72 degree comfort...and as long as you bundle up before you do go outside, it's usually not so bad.  What bothers me more in Chicago is when there's sleet/freezing rain and heavy wind.  But if you're worried about cold...Mad City is the definition of cold in the winter, but it's certainly a beautiful and fun city. 

The housing mixer sounds kind of fun, actually, haha.  Once you find a roommate or two, it really opens up your options.  I looked around on CL today out of curiosity and it seemed that Studios and 1BR's were going for 900-1200 a month, but I found some 2 BR's for 1400 and 1500.  3 and 4 BR's were even better.

And RockShox -- definitely visit in the cold so that you get an idea of what it's like.  However, as a native Floridian who came to Chicago for undergrad, I'm proof that it can be done!

ApesAMB

• AOL Instant Messenger - ApesAMB
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 01:38:19 PM »
I thought I'd jump in and say hi since I am really interested in going to BC.  Does anyone know if there are any other ASWs?  I have to be at the University of Maryland the weekend of April 4th.  I'm bummed I'm going to miss it!  Anyone going out there a different weekend?

To the person who was asking about a car, my friends who have lived in Boston have told me absolutely do not bring a car.  There is no need for one, and if you do have one, you'll get about 5 parking tickets a month. 
Boston College Class of 2011!