Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAC Transcript Question  (Read 1999 times)

luckylady

• View Profile
LSAC Transcript Question
« on: February 03, 2008, 04:53:51 PM »
Hi everyone,

I've read some on this board about the fact that the GPA on your transcript may not end up being the same GPA that is quoted to schools by LSAC. Can anyone explain this to me? I am a little worried because although I have a good GPA, I did withdraw from several classes (10+ years ago), and while those withdrawals did affect my GPA at that particular school, they were not factored in when I transferred schools. Will those withdrawals affect my LSAC GPA?

Thanks for any information!   

azoraraine

• View Profile
Re: LSAC Transcript Question
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 05:15:47 PM »
What do they look like on the transcript?  I had a whole slew of 0.0 (no work submitted) grades that I feared would be factored as Fs, but they were not.  If yours show up as Ws or Is, LSAC may  count them as Fs, though.  When I was going through this I called them they basically told me that there was no way they could tell me until the transcript was processed.  If the school did not consider them punitive, though, I think that is a good sign.  Good luck!  I lost a lot of sleep over this issue and it turned out well for me!

BoRNnTHeUSA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 07:24:03 PM »
LSAC did not factor any of my W's, only F's.  The F's (from way-back-when) were not counted in my degree GPA.  So it was a whole lot higher than my cumulative (the GPA factored by LSAC).

So I do believe you should be OK with W's, just be careful w/the other stuff.

"I believe that what self-centered men have torn down, other-centered men can build up." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

steuby

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 09:07:51 PM »
The only thing you have to worry about are retakes.. I had two classes that I thought wouldn't be included because of the fact I retook the class later.. my GPA was a bit less pretty on LSAC than it was on my college transcript.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 11:45:02 AM »
I actually called and asked the schools I applied to about it. All of them said that the only transcript they cared about was my current school. I have 13 years between my first two years and my last two. Unfortunately, LSAC did not agree and had to have all of my transcripts, so my cumulative GPA was significantly lower than my regular GPA.

I am trusting that schools take those sorts of factors into consideration.
Or maybe I should say "hoping"....

laughing_heir

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 06:01:26 AM »
I had a rainbow of wierd grades including withdrawals and Fs, though none from my degree-granting institution.  LSAC dinged me pretty hard but I made it a point to discuss the matter in either my personal statement or an addendum, depending on the preference of each school.  I have no idea what impact that had, but I did get into some good schools so I would not worry too much.