Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Academic Probation & Warning  (Read 2509 times)

Nietzsche

• View Profile
    • Email
Academic Probation & Warning
« on: February 03, 2008, 11:54:15 AM »
So my question is regarding how an academic warning or probation will affect my application, and whether I am required to fully disclose it. My freshman year I was working full time and went to a local state college, and had two miserable semesters in a row. After those semesters I repeated the classes and my low grades were replaced with non-punitive NC's, but I was given a warning for my grades,and possibly probation but I can't really remember(the school was chaotic).  I maintained a 3.88 for the next two years and then transfered to a private university where I currently have a 3.85.  I noticed some applications are specific on disclosing all academic censures from all schools, what is my best course here.  I want to be competitive for admissions at the top law schools, how bad is this going to hurt.

Thanks

Hammerstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Academic Probation & Warning
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 12:50:24 PM »
I would disclose this.

In any case, since you have to submit every transcript, law schools are going to know, and I would be more concerned about the GPA hit you'll take than with disclosing the probation.  Those NCs might be considered Fs by LSAC, which will really hurt.

No matter what, given your situation, you'll pretty much need a grade addendum to account for what happened.
CLS 2011.  All done.

Nietzsche

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 02:08:47 PM »
Will the NCs affect my LSAC GPA.  The LSAC says that WF, NC, and I are included in calculation of GPA IF the school indicates credits attempted AND considers the grade to be punitive. The NC do show attempted credits but only in the semester breakdown, and the official transcript says on the back that NC = Strictly Non-punitive.  There is no distinction between an approved withdrawal NC and a repeated course NC.  So hopefully since the transcript says they are non-punitive the LSAC will not count them towards my GPA. Is this a correct assumption?

Nietzsche

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 10:41:09 PM »
Will the NCs affect my LSAC GPA.  The LSAC says that WF, NC, and I are included in calculation of GPA IF the school indicates credits attempted AND considers the grade to be punitive. The NC do show attempted credits but only in the semester breakdown, and the official transcript says on the back that NC = Strictly Non-punitive.  There is no distinction between an approved withdrawal NC and a repeated course NC.  So hopefully since the transcript says they are non-punitive the LSAC will not count them towards my GPA. Is this a correct assumption?

I'm pretty sure your original grades are what count toward the GPA calculation. I'd give them a call tomorrow just to be sure.

The thing is that the original grades are not on my transcript.  For example, One semester I dropped 2 classes and failed one.  After repeating the F ALL three classes show up as NC with no difference between the two.  So the repeated class have the same non-punitive standing as an approved withdrawal.

I'll definitely send them an email.

Nietzsche

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 10:48:31 PM »
Also, can I have the transcript sent to my LSAC account now, even though I am still a Junior.  So I can at least put it behind me, as it will bring my GPA down .53 if they count them as F's.  Or is the LSAC account only active for a certain time.  I have since transfered from the school so I will not be adding anymore classes to that transcript.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 10:51:24 PM »
So my question is regarding how an academic warning or probation will affect my application, and whether I am required to fully disclose it. My freshman year I was working full time and went to a local state college, and had two miserable semesters in a row. After those semesters I repeated the classes and my low grades were replaced with non-punitive NC's, but I was given a warning for my grades,and possibly probation but I can't really remember(the school was chaotic).  I maintained a 3.88 for the next two years and then transfered to a private university where I currently have a 3.85.  I noticed some applications are specific on disclosing all academic censures from all schools, what is my best course here.  I want to be competitive for admissions at the top law schools, how bad is this going to hurt.

Thanks

you must disclose. 

if your application is tight it won't hurt you.  i was on warning for a semester and it didn't hurt me.
Columbia 3L

Nietzsche

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 06:20:31 PM »
Just in case anyone cares, I just got off the phone with LSAC and they confirmed that the NC's from my previous institution are omitted when calculating GPA.  I am extremely relieved.  It would have immediately dropped my GPA by a minimum of .53.  Phew.

Hammerstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 06:30:29 PM »
Just in case anyone cares, I just got off the phone with LSAC and they confirmed that the NC's from my previous institution are omitted when calculating GPA.  I am extremely relieved.  It would have immediately dropped my GPA by a minimum of .53.  Phew.

Glad to hear it!
CLS 2011.  All done.

Alecto

• Sr. Citizen
  • Class of 2011
    • AOL Instant Messenger - oceangirlUGA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 05:53:55 PM »
I have a similar question, but for grad school.  I'm finishing an M.S. right now, and I was on academic probation for a semester (that happens if you fall below a 3.0).  I was on a teaching assistantship (teaching and grading for three sections a week) and taking three 3-cr hour classes.  I mean, is it really going to hurt me that I got a "C" in Physical Oceanography and Microbial Biogeochemistry?  I brought my GPA up and kept it up (ok, but not very high) while teaching the same amount and doing field research . . . .

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 07:28:07 PM »
I was on probation, but it was not listed on my transcript.  I disclosed nonetheless, and I am now batting 13 for 16 with scholarships. 

The schools don't care, it's the bar fitness test.
Proving there is redemption in this world...