Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Florida??  (Read 20196 times)

BBIH

• View Profile
Re: University of Florida??
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 10:00:59 AM »
Shocking...my index is 5.6 too. :-) I called yesterday and they said they could mail out a letter by April 1 the latest. But they also said it could come anytime. Talk about inconclusive news...

CoupDeGlace

• Sr. Citizen
  • Les Canadiens sont l!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 06:58:19 PM »
When you look at the numbers right now on LSN, I counted only one person who was admitted thus far with an LSAT below 160. And that person was only accepted last week.

I think instead of calling UF the Harvard of Florida we can call it Florida's GMU. By this time last year my friend, who had an index of 5.6, was admitted. It's quite possible that they may be holding off on a lot of decisions seeing what response they get from their earliest admits (which were all up in 5.8-6.0 land)
UF 2011

stinabee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 07:28:32 PM »
Hmm...for those of you in Gville now (as I am), do you remember this article in the Alligator about Law Applications being up?

http://www.alligator.org/articles/2007/11/16/news/campus/law.txt

No Good.  :-\

jalex519

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 10:03:41 PM »
Hmm...for those of you in Gville now (as I am), do you remember this article in the Alligator about Law Applications being up?

http://www.alligator.org/articles/2007/11/16/news/campus/law.txt

No Good.  :-\

Yeah I remember the article, hopefully they have room for all us 5.6ers though.

On LSN my index calculated as 5.5, but on the actual LSDAS report that was sent out I had an index of 5.6...
2L and counting...

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2008, 09:40:17 PM »
Ugh, I just realized I am a 5.6 as well. April?!?! I really need to get into UF.

jalex519

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2008, 03:31:05 PM »
So I called UF's admissions office today, after getting a letter in the mail yesterday from FSU informing me that my application was on hold, I had a feeling that this was probably the case at Florida as well. It turns out I was right - they said my file had been reviewed once, but that a decision had not been made and that I should hear back by April at the latest.
2L and counting...

CoupDeGlace

• Sr. Citizen
  • Les Canadiens sont l!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2008, 03:57:56 PM »
So I called UF's admissions office today, after getting a letter in the mail yesterday from FSU informing me that my application was on hold, I had a feeling that this was probably the case at Florida as well. It turns out I was right - they said my file had been reviewed once, but that a decision had not been made and that I should hear back by April at the latest.

See, I don't know why UF can't tell people if their applications have been placed on hold. I don't think it's right that some people could be holding out to make a decision elsewhere, and they just will sit on the app. Granted, it's a lot better than being rejected, but other schools have the courtesy to tell you when you're on hold. I'm sure their logic is that they tell you that you'll get a decision either way by April, and if it's on hold they really technically haven't made a decision, but it's still just incredibly frustrating.
UF 2011

BBIH

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2008, 03:28:12 AM »
Jalex519, same exact thing happened to me! But the letter informing me about the hold at FSU said they would get back to me by May, which is way too late. Either way, I don't think we are particularly disadvantaged because we haven't heard an assertive answer from UF yet...I think they are just "playing the numbers game", whatever that means.  ???

LWS08

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2008, 11:34:25 PM »
Still nothing on my end..my theory about the "playing the numbers game" is that a number of applications are on hold pending who accepts UF's offer for admission. The more people decline the more "hold" applicants get offers.
"A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste."

CoupDeGlace

• Sr. Citizen
  • Les Canadiens sont l!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2008, 12:54:43 AM »
Still nothing on my end..my theory about the "playing the numbers game" is that a number of applications are on hold pending who accepts UF's offer for admission. The more people decline the more "hold" applicants get offers.

With the current cutbacks in the state budget here in Florida for university funding, I can't help but wonder if this is affecting the number of out-of-state applicants they're accepting. A lot of us still waiting are Florida residents. I wouldn't be surprised if they're perhaps placing priority on out-of-staters, who would pay double what we'd be paying. But that's just a theory of mine.

As for yours... yeah that's definitely likely. We're really never going to know. It's really going to be more telling when at least some of us here start getting in, or getting rejected (but let's be optimistic here and assume acceptance  ;D) I wouldn't be surprised if it happens in a wave, of sorts.

Maybe they're playing a game with us, where by the time we get the acceptance we'll be prostituting ourselves to attend. I think we're kind of close to that point right now...  ;)
UF 2011