Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Florida??  (Read 20620 times)

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
Re: University of Florida??
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2008, 03:15:22 PM »
I'm an out-of-state student who managed to get some need-based aid. You just have to submit a letter to financial aid at the law school before a certain deadline. Contact Carol Huber at the law school.

Need-based aid isn't dependent on your LSAT/GPA scores-- if you can show a compelling need, the school will try to help you out.
Vanderbilt 2010

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2008, 04:48:23 PM »
To give you a glimmer of hope, my friend, a 1L at Florida now, got a full ride with a 162 and 3.8. And she has no soft factors.

I have no idea how she pulled it off, but how awesome is that? She found out in April.

Is she a Florida resident? (I am not.)

I've noticed on LSN that they give out a decent amount of money to Florida residents. 

Yep she's a FL resident and did her UG at UF as well.

That's what I figured.  They've given out some very nice scholarships on LSN to people that went to UF UG and are Fl residents.

I just want them to knock down the $30,000 it would cost me in tuition for the first year as a non-resident.  Please, Florida?  :P

BigOleBlue

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2008, 03:08:19 AM »
I had a question that I was hoping to have some of you guys answer for me. How easy is it to get a decent-paying job in Gainesville during 2L and 3L years? I'm thinking of summer clerking elsewhere (Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando), but I don't know about during the year. Is there just a glut of UF Law people in the area that make it impossible to find such a job?

stinabee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2008, 04:11:58 AM »
I had a question that I was hoping to have some of you guys answer for me. How easy is it to get a decent-paying job in Gainesville during 2L and 3L years? I'm thinking of summer clerking elsewhere (Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando), but I don't know about during the year. Is there just a glut of UF Law people in the area that make it impossible to find such a job?

I think it depends how appealing you are. I tried to get a job working at a law office this semester (I'm in my last sem of UG), but she didn't want to hire me because I wasn't sure if I was going to be going to UF for law school and she wanted someone that was going to be long-term. But she told me that I could clerk for her my 2nd semester or beyond if I stayed at UF, because she liked my resume, professionalism, etc. As with any place, if you put yourself out there early and get to know people, you have a chance of getting something. Whether you'll be getting decent pay...that I don't know. I originally applied for a legal secretary-type job which was like 11 or 12 an hour, so I imagine a clerk would be more? I actually haven't really looked into how much money you can make as a law student, so for those that have, what is considered decent?

UGAfootballfanatic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2008, 07:43:45 AM »
If you want a decent paying law firm job during 2L/3L, it's not very promising, for two reasons: 1) gainesville has very few firms + 400 2ls and 400 3ls; 2) those jobs that are out there typcially pay between 12 and 15 per hour for clerks (it's supply-demand). You could also get a research assistantship at UF, which pays around the same. It's not impossible, but it's a challenge.

dwkfym

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2008, 01:21:25 PM »
Got in off waitlist.. called me international to wake me up at 3AM with the good news!
I visited the school before I left for Korea..Checked out a LOT of things at UF, met some people, but to sum it up I didn't like how there wasn't a big city or a beach nearby (I'm from San Diego) but LOVED the party atmosphere that reminded me of my undergrad school. Though that bit probably doesn't apply to any law student.

Woohoo! See you all in Gainesville next year. PM me if you'd like to know my stats..

has anyone else gotten in off the waitlist?
Acceptances:
Chicago-Kent (Scholarship money)
Lewis and Clark
Pepperdine
Santa Clara
U. San Diego
U. of Miami

Wait List:
Cardozo
William and Mary
Loyola Marymount

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2008, 03:31:09 PM »
Got in off waitlist.. called me international to wake me up at 3AM with the good news!
I visited the school before I left for Korea..Checked out a LOT of things at UF, met some people, but to sum it up I didn't like how there wasn't a big city or a beach nearby (I'm from San Diego) but LOVED the party atmosphere that reminded me of my undergrad school. Though that bit probably doesn't apply to any law student.

Woohoo! See you all in Gainesville next year. PM me if you'd like to know my stats..

has anyone else gotten in off the waitlist?

Congrats on getting off the waitlist!

jalex519

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2008, 10:43:43 PM »
In off the wait list today!  ;D
2L and counting...

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2008, 08:07:27 AM »

CONGRATS!!!!  That is so great.   ;D
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2008, 03:54:42 PM »

Awesome!