Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Florida??  (Read 20360 times)

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: University of Florida??
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2008, 07:54:59 PM »
It seems to be a snap. One of the big attractions for many people.

schooler

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2008, 08:27:04 PM »
UF must have seen my not-so-ringing endorsement on this board, and therefore UF refuses to acknowledge me. 

Just as well.  ::)
NYU Class of 2011

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2008, 08:31:15 PM »
Do any of you guys happen to know about out-of-state residency and getting in-state tuition for the second and third years in Florida? It impacts my decision tremendously, so I'd like to know if any of you guys know about this.

The UF website addresses this.  Everyone I've talked to has said you can get in-state tuition after the first year (so, for 2L and 3L years). 
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

stinabee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2008, 08:31:36 PM »
Do any of you guys happen to know about out-of-state residency and getting in-state tuition for the second and third years in Florida? It impacts my decision tremendously, so I'd like to know if any of you guys know about this.

I read this just today on the student boards--
"There's a list on the UF website on how to get instate tuition, but basically, change your drivers license, insurance and registration, bank accounts, declare domicile at the county courthouse of alachua, and register to vote. Make sure you do it at least 360 days before the first day of your second year. From there it's all just paperwork, and it's pretty automatic to get residency."

Hope that helps!

BigOleBlue

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2008, 05:40:46 AM »

I read this just today on the student boards--
"There's a list on the UF website on how to get instate tuition, but basically, change your drivers license, insurance and registration, bank accounts, declare domicile at the county courthouse of alachua, and register to vote. Make sure you do it at least 360 days before the first day of your second year. From there it's all just paperwork, and it's pretty automatic to get residency."

Hope that helps!

It's hard for me to actually believe that I might live in Alachua County; my fiancťe's from Newberry and it would be very nice to live in Gainesville. Well, if I don't get into my last two schools, I think I'll be in Florida. Also, if Wake decides to give me substantial amounts of money, it would pose an interesting decision, but UF seems like it's for me.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2008, 10:41:34 PM »
In today! 5.6 index. 158/3.4, nontrad with attendant weirdness. What a relief! Don't loose hope 5.6ers.

bostr84777

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2008, 10:40:34 AM »
Can you elaborate on getting in-state tuition after your first year? I cannot afford to attend otherwise. I contacted the law school registrar, and she really had no idea. She transferred me to The University Registrar, who also really didn't know. She said itís handled on a case by case basis, and referred me to the website facts.org, which made it sound like I can only get in-state if I attend less than full time and work full-time my first year. However, this is not what FSU said. Please help, my dream is to attend UF, but I am so confused. I will live off campus for 12 months prior to the first day of my second year, will switch all my accounts and documents as mentioned above, and will claim domicile. Is this enough?

schooler

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2008, 01:43:32 PM »
Can you elaborate on getting in-state tuition after your first year? I cannot afford to attend otherwise. I contacted the law school registrar, and she really had no idea. She transferred me to The University Registrar, who also really didn't know. She said itís handled on a case by case basis, and referred me to the website facts.org, which made it sound like I can only get in-state if I attend less than full time and work full-time my first year. However, this is not what FSU said. Please help, my dream is to attend UF, but I am so confused. I will live off campus for 12 months prior to the first day of my second year, will switch all my accounts and documents as mentioned above, and will claim domicile. Is this enough?

I don't know what UF requires for the residency adjustment.  But to claim FL residency you need to show such proof as driver's license, voter's registration, vehicle registration, etc.

Also, as an aside, when I adjusted my residency in CA, I had to submit stuff like the above and banking account information showing opening of new and closing of old. Also tax stuff.
NYU Class of 2011

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2008, 02:55:54 PM »

I was told that this is all you need to do by someone who used to attend UF (he transferred).  The claiming domicile is the on thing that people often forget to do that is important.

FWIW, it also states on their website (I forget where) that a vast majority of students claim in-state residency status by the second year.   

UGAfootballfanatic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2008, 05:41:05 PM »
I'm a current UF law student. congrats to all you who've been accepted! I still check these boards around admissions season to offer what I know about the school. It's very easy to get instate if you follow protocol (someone else listed them: drivers license, car registration, declaration of domicile, registered voter, and change all your bills to your new Florida address). I got it after my first year with no trouble.
I did hear one of the deans say that the class size may be dropped down to 350- 370 in coming years, but no word on whether that's next year or further down the road. I wouldn't hold my breath for much financial aid other than loans unless your scores are very high or you're a URM. Most of us take loans, which is ok b/c tuition is very cheap. I think I'll be graduating with around 55K in loans.

If you have questions, ask away (or PM me)-- I'll be one your ambassadors for the incoming class orientation as well.