Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: CLS Admits Lounge  (Read 5814 times)

brink123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: CLS Admits Lounge
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2008, 05:37:39 PM »
On Lenfest as glorified hotel: it's nice, shiny, new, and absolutely sterile feeling.

Don't live in law school housing (115th on the Amsterdam side) unless you are extremely lazy--it is < 2 minutes from school but overpriced and undersized.  I am living there and regret it.  Non-law UAH (I'm moving to 115th Broadway side next year) has gems (some huge rooms (like MCB's living room), the occasional full mantel and fireplace), a tiny bit of character hiding under all those coats of paint, and much saner rent.  I've also seen some nice places on 113th and 112th.  And 118th.  And... everywhere else, really.

How does apt visiting during ASW work? I think there was time designated for "Apt touring," so do they take us to each type of housing and show us? Do they show us every type or only the nice ones?

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2008, 10:17:38 PM »
On Lenfest as glorified hotel: it's nice, shiny, new, and absolutely sterile feeling.

Don't live in law school housing (115th on the Amsterdam side) unless you are extremely lazy--it is < 2 minutes from school but overpriced and undersized.  I am living there and regret it.  Non-law UAH (I'm moving to 115th Broadway side next year) has gems (some huge rooms (like MCB's living room), the occasional full mantel and fireplace), a tiny bit of character hiding under all those coats of paint, and much saner rent.  I've also seen some nice places on 113th and 112th.  And 118th.  And... everywhere else, really.

How does apt visiting during ASW work? I think there was time designated for "Apt touring," so do they take us to each type of housing and show us? Do they show us every type or only the nice ones?

no one is going to take you anywhere. they give you a list/locations of the places that people have volunteered to show.  so depending on who volunteers, you should get to see a nice mix of places.
Columbia 3L

Hammerstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2008, 08:56:50 PM »
I just wanted to say that I loved my visit to Columbia.  I was very impressed and I can honestly see myself spending the next three years at the school.  I went into the ASW suspecting that I would have these sentiments, and the school confirmed that this suspicion was completely accurate.

As a result, as my signature has said for a few days, I will most likely attend CLS, and I am proud to do so.
CLS 2011.  All done.

wheretogo13

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2008, 11:43:54 PM »
I'm going to April 2-3, as well as NYU on the 4th.

The amount of stuff I have gotten in the mail from Columbia is simply crazy! On the one hand, I think it's great that they try to get you as much info as possible so you can make a good choice, but on the other I'm thinking, "So this is why tuition costs so much for law school..." :)

Has anyone out there gotten any scholarship offers from Columbia yet? I don't really know what to expect, or when to expect if anything at all.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2008, 02:39:26 AM »
I'm going to April 2-3, as well as NYU on the 4th.

The amount of stuff I have gotten in the mail from Columbia is simply crazy! On the one hand, I think it's great that they try to get you as much info as possible so you can make a good choice, but on the other I'm thinking, "So this is why tuition costs so much for law school..." :)

Has anyone out there gotten any scholarship offers from Columbia yet? I don't really know what to expect, or when to expect if anything at all.

CLS won't send things out fin aid/grants until April.
Columbia 3L

the suzz

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2008, 12:30:19 PM »
It's really nice to see that people who have visited Columbia have really liked it.  I'm really thankful for the info they have sent me, because it's unlikely I will get a chance to visit.  Plus NYU hasn't sent me anything since my admit!  Now the only thing I am worrying about is financial aid-- I'll probably have to finance the entire cost of tuition yikes! 

Has anyone talked to current students?  Do they love it?
LSAT: 173
GPA: 3.79

yay science!

aporia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2008, 09:41:45 AM »
I similarly loved the CLS Admitted Students Program and am now leaning toward attending.  For me, the deciding factor was the quality of the classes -- both the actual class sessions that I attended, and the mock class that we were able to participate in.  All of the faculty members (particularly Prof. Witt, whose mock torts class was exceptional) struck me as extremely talented teachers. 

So, at this point, as long as the financial aid offer is competitive to peer schools, I think I'll be there in the fall.
Columbia 2011

Hammerstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2008, 10:03:26 AM »
I similarly loved the CLS Admitted Students Program and am now leaning toward attending.  For me, the deciding factor was the quality of the classes -- both the actual class sessions that I attended, and the mock class that we were able to participate in.  All of the faculty members (particularly Prof. Witt, whose mock torts class was exceptional) struck me as extremely talented teachers. 

So, at this point, as long as the financial aid offer is competitive to peer schools, I think I'll be there in the fall.

Nice to see someone else agreeing with me!  Hope financial aid works out for you :)
CLS 2011.  All done.

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2008, 11:02:39 AM »
i'm glad people seemed to enjoy the ASW.

und3r3stimat3d

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2008, 12:54:29 PM »
ASW was fantastic, much more interesting than NYU's downtown.

I have a financial aid question: should I send Columbia my merit-based grants (from Penn, UVA, Michigan, Cornell) now in advance of getting my need based grant, or only after I get my grant, if I'm not happy with it? I can see both methods' reasoning. I seem to remember one of you current 1Ls sent it before hand and it worked out for you. Does this make sense so I can get maximum amount of money before all the grant money is given away?

Also, should I let them know I'm in at Stanford? I absolutely loved Columbia, but HYS is HYS, and I think Columbia could lure me with a small grant.