Law School Discussion

South Texas College of Law

South Texas College of Law
« on: February 02, 2008, 10:14:54 AM »
Looks like I'm heading to Houston this fall. I'll probably be starting at SoTex while my wife will be starting her career in Advertising. Anyone else going? Where are you going to live?

Re: South Texas College of Law
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 07:09:38 PM »
Hey there, I have a few friends who are currently attending or have graduated from STCL. A couple of them are in the PT program, living and working on the north side of town; another is in the FT program and commutes from Sugar Land. It takes them 30 minutes or so for them to get to school, and none of them mind the drive. If you have children or are looking into moving into a home, surrounding suburbs like Spring, Atascocita, Sugar Land, etc. have reasonably priced homes you can look into.

Others live(d) closer to town. One in lives in the medical center, and my cousin and his wife lived in the Galleria area when they were STCL students. The medical center, where my SO currently lives, is nice. They're building quite a few lofts and condos in the area, and he's literally around the corner from HW 288. I left for the STCL Open House from his place, and it literally took me 10 minutes to get to the school (no traffic). The Galleria area is much pricier, and I personally wouldn't recommend it because traffic is bad around there 24/7.

Other popular and cheap places for students to stay are around the Montrose/Richmond/Westheimer area. You can find places in the neighborhood of $500-$800 a month. A friend of mine (not a law student) is paying ~$700 for a gorgeous town home with hardwood floors. There's lots of stuff to do in the area. The mid-town area is also nice (although pricey). A lot of young professionals reside there as it's just minutes from downtown and has all the hippest bars/lounges/eateries.

Hope this helps!

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 07:06:29 AM »
Awesome thanks brain age!

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 08:34:45 AM »
I lived in Sugar Land for 13 years, so if you have any questions about the SW area of Houston, feel free to pm me.
This is also a tag for information about living downtown.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 09:41:42 AM »
I work in downtown Houston and commute from Sugar Land everyday. Rush hour sucks. It takes me an hour in the morning and evenings, though, a student's schedule probably won't require for one to be in class at 9.

I am a UofH hopeful, but SoTex is my backup. There are plenty of nice places to live...particularly between downtown and the West Loop. My apartment shopping yesterday yielded a few nice results in the Montrose-Upper Kirby area. From there it should be a 10-20 minute commute to campus.

A place in Midtown is probably ideal. The metro rail passes within a block or two of SoTex and cuts right through the East side of Midtown. If you can ride the rail, it can save you a lot of time and money that is usually spent on parking/finding parking.

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 05:09:42 PM »
Sounds good volvoguy. How is the Montrose neighborhood? My wife is from Sugar Land but isn't terribly familiar with Houston downtown. Do I need to conceal carry a gun at night or going to the grocery store?

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 10:12:27 PM »
Hey all,

I'm in at STCL and waiting on Houston.  Thanks for the tips on where to live.  I've been looking online ad nauseam and can't decide what would be best.  I have a wife and a young boy so I want a place that's safe, affordable, and there are other like-minded students around because we know absolutely no one down there.  Any idea as to where would be best?  I'd rather not have to put in an hour commute, but if that's the best fit, so be it.

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 09:27:38 AM »
Hi ya'll,

I'm still waiting to hear from STCL, but have started looking at where to live as well.  I was thinking about living further out of Houston and riding the MetroRail to class.

Have you heard of others doing that, and if its clean/safe?

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 09:32:06 AM »
My vote would go for Montrose area or down by the medical center. 

The parking around STCL is a frigging nightmare to end nightmares and 10, 45, and 59 might as well as be parking lots during morning rush hour when you figure first classes start.

My status check went to Decision Rendered on the 3rd, so I guess I'll know by the weekend if I'm going back to living inside the Loop.  Good luck to everyone!

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 11:02:32 AM »
Hi ya'll,

I'm still waiting to hear from STCL, but have started looking at where to live as well.  I was thinking about living further out of Houston and riding the MetroRail to class.

Have you heard of others doing that, and if its clean/safe?

From what I could tell, it looks like there are decent places to live along the rail line.  I was thinking about the same thing just so I could avoid having to pay ten bucks a day to park my car.  Midtown would be sweet, but it's obviously a little more expensive.  Are any of you married or are you flying solo?  My wife is terrified at the thought of not meeting people once we get down there.