Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Guys: would you marry a female biglaw lawyer?????????????  (Read 8508 times)

thecrashlawyer

• View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: Guys: would you marry a female biglaw lawyer?????????????
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2008, 09:15:34 PM »
No.  I would probably NOT marry a biglaw female lawyer. Ugg, too much stress. 

_retired_

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2008, 09:32:58 PM »
If she was good looking and we clicked: most definitely. Who do biglaw girls marry anyway? There's nowhere but down the chain to marry...

Ibankers dude; didn't you hear?  Ibanking >>>>> law.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2008, 09:33:28 PM »
You mean to tell me that smart, powerful, good looking women (biglaw) do not intimidate you?  I think u are the exception not the rule. I can't help but wonder what you look like.... that would help me understand why you are so reluctant to admit the truth.

I know this person is gone, but I think she is confusing intimadation with simply not being interested...here is what I mean.

Here are the two main types of girls that I think most guys (at least me, my friends, and most of the men I've met) want to date/marry.(I mean we either want one, or the other, or both)

Type #1 Sweet, gentle, happy, innocent, good morals, cares for others (ie. will probably be a good mom)...These are the really nice girls that you can't help but want to protect, and care for, and be with. For me this is wife material for sure. (You'd be surprised how many guys want this even if they seem to only date type #2)

Type #2 Some on the other hand want seductive, sexy, and in some cases even slutty/sleazy women. Probably more for dating than marriage...not my type, but many of my friends hit this all the time.

Note: Smart, pretty, inshape etc. These are bonuses in either category.

Type #3 (BIGLAW) The problem with BIGLAW women (not all, but many from what I've heard), is the the traits that got them there, and make them good lawyers are simply not attractive...like argumentative, power hungry, selfish, independent, controlling and competitive...
....No matter how pretty a girl is, once those traits come out, most guys think she is ugly, and can't stand being around her...ie. (being smart and pretty aren't big enough positives to overcome all those negatives).

Conclusion:
For me, unless she is somehow a type #1, and still makes it into Biglaw, and also wouldn't mind putting her career on hold at some point in order to have kids, I probably will not be marrying a Biglaw lawyer...(and to hell with the extra money...I want extra happiness)

So there it is IMO.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2008, 09:38:55 PM »
Oh for heaven's sake....

Although Smails of all people pointed out once upon a time that people who work too much and are especially abitious in general can be hard to be married to.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

RedNinja

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2008, 10:03:40 PM »
Hmm, I think the bottom line is that there's no need to marry someone in biglaw is you're in biglaw - that would be polygamy. You're already married to your job, and so is she.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2008, 10:04:51 PM »
Oh for heaven's sake....

Although Smails of all people pointed out once upon a time that people who work too much and are especially abitious in general can be hard to be married to.

is smails still around?  he was one of my favorite trolls
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2008, 10:17:57 PM »
Oh for heaven's sake....

is smails still around?  he was one of my favorite trolls

i'm still here.  i just don't post under that account anymore.

ah ha.

you miss so much when youre gone  :P
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

sunglee

• Dash your curry like you not in a hurry
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2008, 10:40:30 PM »
Type #3 (BIGLAW) The problem with BIGLAW women (not all, but many from what I've heard), is the the traits that got them there, and make them good lawyers are simply not attractive...like argumentative, power hungry, selfish, independent, controlling and competitive...

These are all traits that a "Biglaw" guy has...what makes you think any woman wants a person like this also.

I agree with a handful of ppl on here, why would a "biglaw" person want to marry another...that's just dumb...and you're asking for an unhappy marriage.

Biglaw + jobless spouse= happy ever after!! ;)
no-body expects the Spanish inquisition

minarets

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2008, 10:58:03 PM »

Here are the two main types of girls that I think most guys (at least me, my friends, and most of the men I've met) want to date/marry.(I mean we either want one, or the other, or both)

Type #1 Sweet, gentle, happy, innocent, good morals, cares for others (ie. will probably be a good mom)...These are the really nice girls that you can't help but want to protect, and care for, and be with. For me this is wife material for sure. (You'd be surprised how many guys want this even if they seem to only date type #2)

Type #2 Some on the other hand want seductive, sexy, and in some cases even slutty/sleazy women. Probably more for dating than marriage...not my type, but many of my friends hit this all the time.

I wonder if you've ever heard of the madonna-whore complex. You may want to look into it.

Your anecdotal evidence ("from what I've heard") is really convincing. Really.

It seems like some of you got beaten up by girls as children. It really explains the hate for "independent" "competitive" women. Grow up.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2008, 12:20:24 AM »

I wonder if you've ever heard of the madonna-whore complex. You may want to look into it.

Your anecdotal evidence ("from what I've heard") is really convincing. Really.

It seems like some of you got beaten up by girls as children. It really explains the hate for "independent" "competitive" women. Grow up.

Oh, don't get your panties in a knot...notice the "IMO" at the end of the post....that means anecdotal evidence is valid for the purposes of this post...

Anyways, your assumption that men do not like competitive, independent, contankerous women because we were "beaten up by girls as children" is beyond laughable...(in fact, I think my initial response after reading is was..."hahahah, that's ridiculous"). Your post tells me that you really do not understand men...like not even a little bit.

The fact that men like soft, gentle, kind, feminine women has nothing to do with weakness...in fact, it has everything to do with being secure in our strength, yet recognizing needed positive attributes and strengths in the opposite sex that compliment and balance our own (Yes, soft, gentle etc...are signs of a strength in women not weakness). It's the differences that attract us (kind of like the ying and the yang metaphor)...a man wants a woman who can come beside him AS AN EQUAL (very important!) and together they can, well, do life....ie. supporting each other, encouraging each other, helping each other, and creating a synergy that neither can manufacture on their own....more like teammates but deeper, (as opposed to competitors trying to one-up each other all the time.)

Now, having written all that...this is MY OPINION based on life experience and common sense as I have observed it in myself and my friends who have healthy relationships (...I've also been influenced by a few phychology courses...not to mention a sister who is a phychology professor..) Never-the-less, you can leave every bit of it under the bottom of your shoe and I am 100% Ok with that...