Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Application Timing  (Read 398 times)

danmcd

• View Profile
Application Timing
« on: February 02, 2008, 12:16:13 AM »
Hi all,

I'm finishing my MSc Public Policy in Sept of this year and want to attend law school asap. The problem is that I have yet to take an official LSAT and I was hoping to devote some serious time to studying for the test. I have the option of the October and/or December test dates - basically my question is if I only take the December test and finish all apps by mid-December, isn't it a bit late to apply? From what I understand, the earlier you apply the better...am I better off just working for the year and waiting for the next cycle?

I need all the help I can get - I have a 3.44 UGPA and I'm guessing, based on practice tests, that I'll score around a 170. I believe I have a good bunch of soft factors and I'll be selling my Arab side as strongly as possible. I realize that my GPA is going to hold me back from most of the T14 schools, but I was wondering what my chances are for something in the T25? LSN is a great site to see straight numbers, but I find it hard to really gauge who's going where...

cisforcookie

• View Profile
Re: Application Timing
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 08:33:05 AM »
you need to look at the LSN data as really being 3 dimensional. look at the graphs for schools and you'll usually notice a clear line of demarcation where acceptances turn into waitlists and rejections. some schools are much more blatant about this, while some are very fuzzy. this can give you a clue as to the admissions tendencies of those schools.

as for the 3 dimensionality, imagine a hump that exists right around that line between acceptance and rejection. that hump is the likelihood of that student actually attending, so a student who is right at that line  or barely above it will probably go to that school or some other school of similar quality because he's reached his ceiling. students to the left would be happy to attend but won't be given the chance in all likelihood. all those people who are to the right of the line are increasingly more likely to get into a better school, so for them the school you're looking at becomes more of a safety. if you look at it this way, you begin to see that a gpa of 3.44 is not at all bad outside of the top 3-4 schools, providing you have what these schools really want, a high lsat score.

HTH.

oh, and alot of people take the december lsat and apply with that. a little earlier wouldn't hurt, but it's the people in february who are screwed. only danger of the december lsat is that you have no margin for error.

namelessliar

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 10:13:34 AM »
How come you are shooting for the Dec. test and not the Sep/Oct test?  If you're already scoring around the 170 mark without any major studying then it's not stretch to say you can add a few points onto that after some dedication....if I could do it over again then I would have all my apps ready to go and after my test submit.

BurtsBees

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 12:29:24 PM »
The biggest danger in the December test is not being able to retake in February.  I did the October and December tests, and I don't believe applying right after I received the December score really hurts me.  However, if I could do it all over again I would do June and October if I was prepared.  Applying early really gives you the chance to fine-tune your applications and sell yourself.  At worst, you'll find out earlier and have more time to make a final decision.