Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Not to rain on overbody's parade, but do you all realize...  (Read 3040 times)

TheWESTWESTWEST

• View Profile
    • Email
Not to rain on overbody's parade, but do you all realize...
« on: February 01, 2008, 12:33:33 AM »
...how much 130K in student debt is? I mean, besides the students admitted to the top half of the T14 that are virtually assured BigLaw, everyone else is making a seirous gamble if they plan on paying full tution to a Tier 2 or even bottom part of T50 school. 130K is ALOT of money to pay back, especially at 9%+ interest and you better be DAMN SURE you have a 80K+ job lined up right out of law school if you want to avoid crushing, life altering debt.

Now invariably people will respond with the usual accusations that I'm a pessimist or that I am bitter because such and such a law school denied me. But try proving to me that spending 100K+ on a law school education that may land you a 40K job after graduation, or none at all in some cases, is worth it.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Not to rain on overbody's parade, but do you all realize...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 12:38:53 AM »
...how much 130K in student debt is? I mean, besides the students admitted to the top half of the T14 that are virtually assured BigLaw, everyone else is making a seirous gamble if they plan on paying full tution to a Tier 2 or even bottom part of T50 school. 130K is ALOT of money to pay back, especially at 9%+ interest and you better be DAMN SURE you have a 80K+ job lined up right out of law school if you want to avoid crushing, life altering debt.

Now invariably people will respond with the usual accusations that I'm a pessimist or that I am bitter because such and such a law school denied me. But try proving to me that spending 100K+ on a law school education that may land you a 40K job after graduation, or none at all in some cases, is worth it.

i actually appreciate that you acknowledge that people coming out of the T14 (for the most part) are making a worthwhile investment.  most of these DON'T GO INTO LAW THE DEBT IS RIDICULOUS AND YOU WILL BE UNEMPLOYED posters refuse to concede that fact.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

antaresvi

• Sr. Citizen
  • law school.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 12:39:52 AM »
The law is a higher calling. Repent, lest ye be tempted by the scourge of biglaw. Through LRAP be thy salvation.

jfields32

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 12:40:10 AM »
I went to college on a full athletic schlorship and will prob be at a tier 2, hopefully state. What is the difference between this and someone taking a risk going to get a undergrad degree. Im not going into law for the money.

TheWESTWESTWEST

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 12:48:20 AM »
I went to college on a full athletic schlorship and will prob be at a tier 2, hopefully state. What is the difference between this and someone taking a risk going to get a undergrad degree. Im not going into law for the money.

The difference is the UG is usually a fraction of the cost. if you get a full; ride to LS, or even 2/3 tuition, by all means go. But a T2 law education for 100K+ in debt is almost always a BAD investment.

Tegoyan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 01:16:17 AM »
Of course we realize this by now. How could we miss it with all of the doom and gloom trolls on this board. ::)

sammy222

• Common Sense is the Least Common of the Senses
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 01:16:59 AM »
I have spent the last year worrying my self sick about the debt.  I've calmed my fears by doing tons and tons and tons of research.  Most people who graduate law school either don't give the whole process enough effort or are just naturally not inclined to "think like a lawyer." You should be self-aware enough to know what you are capable of. (LSAT and GPA are an ok indicator of that)  It takes a bit of natural talent (i.e. being logical) drive and a lot of commitment. If you are not fortunate enough to attend a t14 you better be willing to give your studies all of your time and energy. The cost/benefit analysis of law school is relative, although I hate that word. Work hard and do what is necessary to gain experience and knowledge. People operate on this false idea that a JD entitles them to a high paying job, that is mistake number one. There is a method to this madness and either you are bright enough to cheat the system (without cheating of course) or you retreat and let them beat you for 130k.  There are too  many dumb lawyers out there-- so if you are not in it because you love it or feel like you would be good at it-- save us all a headache and don't do it.  Please.

RedNinja

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 01:30:55 AM »
At least he's being reasonable about it, unlike most people who bring this subject up.

You're speaking to the wrong audience though, LSD is a self-selected group of people who tend to have the higher numbers to get into T14 schools.

TheWESTWESTWEST

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 01:39:37 AM »
This is like, what, the 50st "Law school is expensive! Lower ranked schools have uncertain job prospects! You are ruining your life!" thread this cycle.

I imagine the posts will cease when people quit giving ridiculously overpriced T2 schools their money. To those who want to warn young adults who often how no idea what theya re getting into to avoid 100K+ of student debt, I say SPAM away.

GunnerDore

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 01:46:32 AM »
This topic made me think of that Flaming Lips song.

Do you realize??