Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Buffalo...the temptation is there!  (Read 2784 times)

laurenlaw

• View Profile
Re: Buffalo...the temptation is there!
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 07:06:32 PM »
I think that Buffalo would be a good option for you at this point.  Though the economy, as with all of upstate New York, is hardly thriving, there are a lot of opportunities in government and the private sector there.  You mentioned the DA's office, but there would also be an opportunity at the US Attorney's Office.  I'd talk to some of the students from UB, see what their take is.  It will ABSOLUTELY be a huge change for you, living-wise.  I made the opposite transition, grew up in Buffalo and am going to law school in NYC, so if you'd like to learn about the area you can always PM me.  I'm obviously biased, but I know that the opportunities are there if you stand out in a crowd.  Also, if you're interested in any public interest, or become interested while going to school, it's a great city to start.

sandlot247

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 12:30:50 PM »
Have the words Buffalo and temptation ever been written in the same sentence? Of course, other than: Ever since I moved to Buffalo, I have had the temptation to commit bodily harm.

Haha.  I'm from Rochester, but spent a semester working in Buffalo on a co-op.  All I can say about it is that Buffalo deserves every bit of bashing that it receives.  By the end, trying my luck with Niagara Falls and a barrel seemed like a good idea.
Temple Law 2011

ADL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 02:12:44 PM »
I think that Buffalo would be a good option for you at this point.  Though the economy, as with all of upstate New York, is hardly thriving, there are a lot of opportunities in government and the private sector there.  You mentioned the DA's office, but there would also be an opportunity at the US Attorney's Office.  I'd talk to some of the students from UB, see what their take is.  It will ABSOLUTELY be a huge change for you, living-wise.  I made the opposite transition, grew up in Buffalo and am going to law school in NYC, so if you'd like to learn about the area you can always PM me.  I'm obviously biased, but I know that the opportunities are there if you stand out in a crowd.  Also, if you're interested in any public interest, or become interested while going to school, it's a great city to start.

Laurenlaw,
I'm also considering Buffalo at this point.  I lived in NYC my entire life (i'm in Queens now) and for some reason, i'm itching to get out and live someplace where i can have something to show for my hard work.  I thought maybe attending SUNYB would give me the opportunity to get out of the city w/o going to far.  Since you did the opposite, can i also pm you w/questions?  I would love to hear your opinions on some things.

Also, since you grew up there, what are the high schools like?  If i decide to move, my kid would be starting 10th grade up there.

Thanks  :)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 04:29:32 PM »
The schools in the Buffalo area are crap.  You have to move out to the suburbs to get to a decent school district.

Gordon_Gekko

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 06:15:54 PM »
The schools in the Buffalo area are crap.  You have to move out to the suburbs to get to a decent school district.

Like this only happens in Buffalo?
"the illusion, has become real, and the more real it becomes, the more desperate they want itócapitalism at its finest."

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2008, 09:33:52 PM »

Like this only happens in Buffalo?

I never said it didn't; someone asked about the schools in Buffalo. The fact that this is likely the case for at least 90% of other major metro areas has no bearing on a question that's specific to Buffalo.

ADL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2008, 09:57:43 PM »

Do you mean the suburbs in Amherst where SUNYB is located?

The strange thing is, i know someone who also grew up in Buffalo who told me that the schools are great.  ???

redjay

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008, 10:09:22 PM »
consider a few other things here...
yes, buffalo is a much cheaper school- but if you are looking to end up working in NYC - you should look into how many students from that school make it back down to the NYC market. I know there are some decent sized firms in buffalo. Another thing to consider is that buffalo does not give grades or rank students - which I am guessing makes it difficult to transfer if you dont like living in the snow belt.

The other schools mentioned...namely, st. johns, hofstra, and NYLS are not all equals in the NY job market. St. Johns is still respected a good deal more than either of the other schools. But you could make it work anywhere. I'd recomend looking into the financial aid/scholarship offers at the schools closer to the NY market- you may be surprised how affordable they become if the admissions office likes your lsat score. Also remember that a better market in NYC will lead to higher income to pay off the debt...but do beware, if you don't do well IN school, you will not get a great job.

in my opinion if you have the option you should always go to the highest ranked school you get into

laurenlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 10:31:26 PM »
Anyone who wants to PM me about Buffalo definitely can.  Sorry if it seemed like I was only giving permission to one person.

Gordon_Gekko

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 12:17:48 AM »
http://www.newsweek.com/id/39380/?sort=Rank&count=1351&Search=&start=0&limit=100&year=2007&

The complete list of the 1,300 top U.S. schools:

#9 City Honors Buffalo NY

Looks like Buffalo has at least one of the best schools in the nation.
"the illusion, has become real, and the more real it becomes, the more desperate they want itócapitalism at its finest."