Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ATTN: All Wisconsin Law School students/applicants  (Read 1594 times)

benr_roth

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: ATTN: All Wisconsin Law School students/applicants
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 09:08:42 PM »
I'm waiting on Wisconsin as well. I've noticed that they do in fact care more about LSAT than GPA. At my index score on LSN, most applicants with a high LSAT but a low GPA were admitted, while most with a high GPA and low LSAT were rejected or waitlisted. Keep in mind this is at the same index score, but they way in which an applicant GOT to that index score is what made the difference in the decision.

I'm siting with a 163 and 3.4. I'm likely somewhere between an acceptance and a waitlist, though I'm praying I get in. A rejection would just break me heart  :-[

I got waitlisted with a 166, 3.4 but I had some youthful indiscretions that I think hurt me and I'm not from Wisconsin.

dewalter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 06:22:11 PM »
Don't lose hope yet.  I got in there with a 158 and 3.94 gpa and I'm not even a UW undergrad.  They are definitely looking beyond the numbers and I'm proof of that.  I think they look favorably on people who really make it clear they want to go there, so I think you're in good shape.  After all, you're not even outside of their official range on the LSAT and LSN is systematically biased by self-selection.

XxWaitlistedxX

• LSD's newest Wisconsin troll...
    • View Profile
    • LSN - Who can predict?
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 08:32:01 AM »
I got in with a 159/3.59 and I've never set foot in the state of Wisconsin in my entire life.  I only sent a general PS that had no specific mention of WISCO in it.
IN: Miami, Pitt, PSU($$$), Tulane, Maryland, Wisconsin, FSU, Case
OUT: UIUC, Fordham(PT), OSU, Washington, Hastings
WL: IUB
Def: Iowa
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=XxWaitlistedxX

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 04:44:08 PM »
Wisconsin likes people who apply early.  A little too much, if you ask me.

They also love: high LSATs, grade acceleration (recent upward trend in grades) and real experiences (not just being Secretary of your college science club)

Avicenna

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 07:16:49 PM »
I don't think it's that hard to get into WISCO.
I have the exact same numbers as the OP and WISCO was one of my first acceptances.
I am also not a URM. Although, I will say that I have very strong soft factors and attended an elite undergraduate school in the mid-west.

So...I'd say WISCO(like BC) is very unpredictable.
If it helps at all, I'm planning to Withdraw from WISCO.
Best of luck

Avicenna

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 07:20:44 PM »
Madison is the best school in the state of Wisconsin and UW seems to cite undergrad strength as one of many factors. Therefore, it wouldn't seem to be unresonable that a UW undergraduate gets a slight boost over ... UW-Stevens Point, if they have similar stats.

The OP writes about a 160 barrier. I looked and notice the same thing on LSN, but I Think that is self-selection. Check this out:

http://www.lsa.umich.edu/lsa/detail/0,2034,38632%255Farticle%255F62460,00.html

Look at their stats: 159/3.3!! That's from 2 cycles ago and the UW website indicates their stats have hardly changed. Go look at admitted students: 162/3.51. So, these are a bunch of OOS students at a good school comparable to UW (these kids aren't getting Yale like prestige bumps, where they have lower stats but get in bc of their undergrad) below the 161/3.58 medians getting in.

Moral of the story to the OP: You're seeing skewed stats. Retake the LSAT, get 158+ and I think your GPA + soft factors (assuming it's strong) will get you in!.
[/b]

I disagree totally. I'm sure his chances of getting in @ WISCO are pretty solid even with his current stats.