Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2.55/157/URM chances??  (Read 559 times)

jfields32

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
2.55/157/URM chances??
« on: January 30, 2008, 07:17:23 PM »
Sorry to do one of these but I just sent out some apps today and will e sending more on Monday...Do you guys think I have a shot at any of these schools. My parents urged me to apply to some reaches so I did. I was Captain of my college bball team and did a good amount of community service(mentoring young troubled African Americans)

Villanova
Temple
Rutgers
Syracuse
Seton Hall
U of Miami
Emory
Florida St.
Howard
St. John's
Ruters Camden
Rutgers Newark
Fordham
Duke(fee waiver)- figured well its free...lol
Geroge Washington - fee waiver as well
Pace

jfields32

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2.55/157/URM chances??
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 03:56:10 AM »
any opinions...or other schools you think I should apply to.

20+ Andrew Hill Albums

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 08:01:33 AM »
I think it depends on where you want to end up and what you want to end up doing.

If I were in your shoes, I would go to Duke, GWU, or Emory (obviously) if I got in. (Don't want to be discouraging about your chances at these schools.) If not there, then Howard if I got in. Both degrees are more national than any of the others--assuming you work your tail off at Howard and end up in the top quarter of your class.

If you really want more reaches, though, try a school or two that rank in in the lower portion of Tier 1 (like in the 35-55 range), depending on what cities or regions of the country you want to end up (like George Mason or Tulane). You already have a good number of schools above and below that range.

...But, honestly, I would go to Howard before going to any of those schools.

Avicenna

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 02:44:42 PM »
Sorry to do one of these but I just sent out some apps today and will e sending more on Monday...Do you guys think I have a shot at any of these schools. My parents urged me to apply to some reaches so I did. I was Captain of my college bball team and did a good amount of community service(mentoring young troubled African Americans)

Villanova
Temple
Rutgers
Syracuse
Seton Hall
U of Miami

Emory
Florida St.
Howard
St. John's

Ruters Camden
Rutgers Newark

Fordham
Pace

The Schools Labeled in Bold you have a great shot at.
All the others...poor to none at all.

3 Reasons:

-Late in the Admissions Process
-Low GPA
-Low LSAT

The URM status helps a lot, and your soft factors may help some more(you've only mentioned a few so its hard to gauge whether or not they are strong). I am also a URM, played college ball, way above average soft factors, great LSAT/GPA(much higher than yours), etc... I can attest that a few of those schools are long shots(Emory, Fordham, Duke, GW, and maybe Temple).

Just trying to be real.
Good Luck

Avicenna

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 02:46:52 PM »
By the way,

This was by no means a flame. I just wanted to tell you straight up how difficult it will be with your stats.
That's all
good luck again

jfields32

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 03:30:23 PM »
By the way,

This was by no means a flame. I just wanted to tell you straight up how difficult it will be with your stats.
That's all
good luck again

I appreciate that, Id rather here the truth then have it sugar coated. I didnt even want to apply to some schools but my parents just said sent them becauase "you never no if dont try". I thought I was gonna do better to better on the LSAT but I totally screwed up one game and it killed my score but I guess every1 thinks they could have done better. I messed up in undergrad, had 3 deaths in my family, my brother got locked up for a  while and I took it pretty hard. For a while I was gonna go overseas and play ball but decided against it to kill myself with law school.

I have been doing some research and added some more school that I will apply to on monday. Im just gonna cast a wide net. Hopefully someone will take a chance and I'll get into a decent school(Rutgers-Camden would nice because I live very close)

Phineas

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 05:21:21 PM »

Villanova
Temple
Rutgers
Syracuse
Seton Hall
U of Miami
Emory
Florida St.
Howard
St. John's
Ruters Camden
Rutgers Newark
Fordham
Pace

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. Yes. No. No. No. No. No. No. Yes.