Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U of T vs. Osgoode  (Read 5900 times)

PrincessDiamond

• View Profile
U of T vs. Osgoode
« on: January 29, 2008, 09:42:00 PM »
I got in to both U of T and Osgoode. Can't really see why I would want to go to U of T even though they pretend to be a more prestigious insitution. Why pick U of T when Osgoode is arguably a better school and tuition is way cheaper?

farouk

• View Profile
Re: U of T vs. Osgoode
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 10:16:45 PM »
 ::)

Toronto is the better school; it just depends whether it's 7(?)K$s per year better for you.

PrincessDiamond

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 12:27:28 AM »
And so? Which is more prestigious?

I also dont care so much about any of those factors. Im looking for the school that is going to offer me the best overall experience and from what I've heard, Osgoode is it. Besides, U of T uses an LSAT cutoff (>87th percentile). Interesting, intelligent people with great GPAs and extra-curriculars end up at Osgoode because they scored less than 165 on the LSAT.

MorningStar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 12:32:36 PM »
How is Osgoode "arguably a better school"?  It certainly isn't the quality of their students, experience and accomplishments of their faculty, law school facilities, etc.  I'm not saying Oz is a bad school (quite the contrary), however UofT is superior.  That being said, you should go to the school that is the best "fit" for you and this can be extremely subjective.  I personally went to the Oz admitted student open house and left knowing that this was NOT a place I wanted to be for 3 years.  On the other hand, I know people at UofT that can't stand what they perceive as an elitist mentality there.  Do what's right for you, but remember that GENERALLY speaking UofT will open more doors domestically and abroad than Oz will. 

thejacker112

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 03:30:21 PM »
This should not be a quesiton.  UofT is clearly the number one law school north of the border in many points from international recognition to notable leaders in the legal field to employment (osgoode has lowest employment rate of all ontario law schools)

If you're looking at biglaw/corporate the only law school that could possibly compete with uoft is western.  if you want to get into criminal law, it's between queens and uoft.  if you want international human rights law, it's between ottawa and uoft.  UofT is known for and often trumps in all areas of law. 

If you want a career in canada, take UofT.  If you want a career in another country DEFINITELY take UofT.  apart from UofT the only other internationally recognized law school is probably McGill and even that is a distant second.  congrats on getting in, don't turn them down, you'll regret it.  and later on in life you'll be telling everyone you meet 'i got into UofT, BUT I chose to go to osgoode'.  If you go to UofT, you'll never have to mention osgoode.  take it and you WILL be set for life.

Pretentious Undergrad

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pip pip, children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 12:51:12 PM »
later on in life you'll be telling everyone you meet 'i got into UofT, BUT I chose to go to osgoode'.

As opposed to what? telling "everyone" you meet "OMGZ I WENT TO UOFT LAW!!!!"? Saying either one just makes you a f-ing d bag by definition... best to keep either of those comments to yourself. Besides, in Canada it hardly makes any difference what school you go to anyway. The only way you will regret your decision is if you give up going to the school you really want.

rizz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shut up baby I know it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 10:18:53 PM »
-Osgoode's class size is 300 vs U of T at 170. Huge class means lots of competition.
-Osgoode is located outside of Toronto's downtown in the Jane & Finch area, which is notoroious for crime and generally a bad place to live
-Osgoode's law building is a windowless brick block, and York's campus is really awful

Contrary to what has been posted in this thread Osgoode does NOT have the weakest employment numbers. That honour belongs to uOttawa. Also, Western is nothing special, it is on par with the rest of the canadian schools (middle of the pack).

Pros for Osgoode is it has a huge alumni base, lots of clinics, huge library, huge course selection.U of T matches it in most of these respects. There is some New York recruitment at Osgoode but not as much as U of T or Mcgill.

U of T is not head and shoulders above Osgoode, I would say it presents slightly better opportunities and a much more comfortable environment. And there you go...