Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Davis vs. Hastings  (Read 9037 times)

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Davis vs. Hastings
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2008, 05:35:52 PM »
Based on this paragraph, I'm not quite so sure you know how law school actually works.

As for the rest, meh.  One thing, though: Hastings does carry more prestige than Davis in the Bay Area. 

TheJ, just curious if you are a student at Hastings or a decided admitted student?

Got in, but am currently elsewhere.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

hastingsOK2008

• View Profile
USNEWS New Rankings Hastings 38 Davis 44
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2008, 07:28:14 PM »
Hastings >>>Davis

dobson

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2008, 07:32:27 PM »
McGeorge>hastings/davis/pepperdine/santa clara

credo

• Sr. Citizen
  • This life's a game; let's play for larger stakes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2008, 11:29:07 PM »
McGeorge>hastings/davis/pepperdine/santa clara

Nah brah nah

lol715

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2008, 03:22:30 PM »
This is an interesting thread, since I was accepted to Davis but waitlisted at Hastings. Since we all know how waitlists go, I'm preparing for entering the fall as a Davis 1L. Even if I do get off the Hastings waitlist, the impression I get reading this thread (as well reading other commentaries and assessments about each law school, talking with students, etc) is that Hastings has at best, a marginal advantage over Davis. The fact remains that both schools are mid tier 1 and still competing with Stanford, Boalt, UCLA and USC grads for top jobs in the CA legal market.

Also, in talking to colleagues currently working at top firms (I've been working for 5 years now), where you place in your class at Davis/Hastings is probably the biggest factor of whether or not you land a job at all. I have no doubt a strong alumni network may help you get a foot in the door, but I'd be very surprised if a bottom feeder from Hastings got a job over someone from Davis who's top 20% in their class.

And, to put things in perspective, almost all of us who enter law school do so in hopes of being employed by the time we graduate or soon thereafter. Given the current state of the economy and firm recruiting, maybe ALL of us are in the same boat, irrespective of which law school we go to.  :-\

credo

• Sr. Citizen
  • This life's a game; let's play for larger stakes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2008, 05:28:08 PM »
In other Hastings news the dreaded curve was voted out by the faculty last week.  Starting in Fall '08 we're using basically the same curve as UCLA, with no curve whatsoever in classes under 30 students.

filet o' fish

• Sr. Citizen
  • yum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2008, 05:37:49 PM »
In other Hastings news the dreaded curve was voted out by the faculty last week.  Starting in Fall '08 we're using basically the same curve as UCLA, with no curve whatsoever in classes under 30 students.

::flaunts Penn curves::
"Would you listen to me? Filet O' Fish."
"Filet a' Fish."

"No."

"I don't quite understand."

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2008, 07:39:07 PM »

Jesus Christ, dude.  That's huge.  Great for you, bad for me.   >:(

:D
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

filet o' fish

• Sr. Citizen
  • yum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2008, 11:22:59 PM »

Jesus Christ, dude.  That's huge.  Great for you, bad for me.   >:(

:D

That's what I told your dad last night.

"Would you listen to me? Filet O' Fish."
"Filet a' Fish."

"No."

"I don't quite understand."

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2008, 02:50:12 AM »
;D
But that happens next semester right?
After I leave?  :'(
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php