Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Davis vs. Hastings  (Read 8989 times)

SwEep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Davis vs. Hastings
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 02:23:43 AM »
Hasting's Rep was soooo awesome I want to apply there just cuz of him.

credo

• Sr. Citizen
  • This life's a game; let's play for larger stakes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 05:36:28 AM »
Hasting's Rep was soooo awesome I want to apply there just cuz of him.

LOL ION There are more/better jiu-jitsu and kickboxing gyms around Hastings than Davis.

OCgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2008, 12:47:08 AM »
I don't know the statistics for Davis --> Hastings transfers, but I do know that Davis accepts very few transfer students, and every year there is representation from Hastings. Hastings students regularly transferring to Davis despite all of the great things you read on this site about Hastings should tell you something...
King Hall 2010

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2008, 03:25:08 AM »

As for the larger alumni network in the Bay area and throughout California this could be a definite advantage to Hastings since it has a class size over two times larger than Davis (400+ vs. 180+). Thus it's not difficult to understand why there are more Hastings grads in CA than Davis.

Please, let's not overlook this point, because it's possibly more important than anything else mentioned in this thread.

Alumni networks are what get the majority of students at law schools jobs (outside of maybe the top seven or eight schools in the country).  The larger your alumni network is, the better off you are as a student, particularly at a mid-T1.  The mere fact that there are more Hastings grads in CA than Davis grads (and, for that matter, QUITE a number more) is telling.  It doesn't mean Hastings is a better SCHOOL necessarily, but it does mean that your shot at landing the job you want in California is greater coming out of Hastings than out of Davis, simply because there are likely to be more lawyers in your field near you who graduated from Hastings. 

This won't matter to the top 10-15% at either school.  They'll get what they want.  But below that, and particularly in the bottom half of the class, that alumni network makes a HUGE difference.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

Pixies

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2008, 03:44:22 AM »

As for the larger alumni network in the Bay area and throughout California this could be a definite advantage to Hastings since it has a class size over two times larger than Davis (400+ vs. 180+). Thus it's not difficult to understand why there are more Hastings grads in CA than Davis.

Please, let's not overlook this point, because it's possibly more important than anything else mentioned in this thread.

Alumni networks are what get the majority of students at law schools jobs (outside of maybe the top seven or eight schools in the country).  The larger your alumni network is, the better off you are as a student, particularly at a mid-T1.  The mere fact that there are more Hastings grads in CA than Davis grads (and, for that matter, QUITE a number more) is telling.  It doesn't mean Hastings is a better SCHOOL necessarily, but it does mean that your shot at landing the job you want in California is greater coming out of Hastings than out of Davis, simply because there are likely to be more lawyers in your field near you who graduated from Hastings. 

This won't matter to the top 10-15% at either school.  They'll get what they want.  But below that, and particularly in the bottom half of the class, that alumni network makes a HUGE difference.

But still the number of alumni would probably be roughly proportional to the graduating class, no? I mean, if the class at Hastings has been larger than Davis for a substantial period of time than sure they'll have a larger network, but there will also be a larger number of Hastings students looking to take advantage of that network. I really don't know all that much about either school and am assuming their regional reputations are roughly equivalent. The only argument I can see for the larger class/network is that there may be more variety in the jobs alumni hold. But by sheer numbers I would think that the student to alumni ration would be roughly the same.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2008, 04:27:30 AM »

But still the number of alumni would probably be roughly proportional to the graduating class, no? I mean, if the class at Hastings has been larger than Davis for a substantial period of time than sure they'll have a larger network, but there will also be a larger number of Hastings students looking to take advantage of that network. I really don't know all that much about either school and am assuming their regional reputations are roughly equivalent. The only argument I can see for the larger class/network is that there may be more variety in the jobs alumni hold. But by sheer numbers I would think that the student to alumni ration would be roughly the same.

Not quite.  One alumnus/alumna can be an important job contact for more than one student.  This is frequently true -- it's not necessarily that alumnus who gets you the job, but someone to whom they introduced you.

J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

nhutchin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2008, 12:13:11 PM »
I think a lot of people are missing the fact that an alumni network is not limited to the alumni of the law school.  This puts Hastings at a serious disadvantage since Hastings does not have undergrad alumni to get help from.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2008, 12:20:57 PM »
I think a lot of people are missing the fact that an alumni network is not limited to the alumni of the law school.  This puts Hastings at a serious disadvantage since Hastings does not have undergrad alumni to get help from.

This may be true, but I don't think it's quite as pertinent in the legal field.  I'm lazy, but I'll explain if required.

newyorker1987

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2008, 01:58:24 AM »
UC Hastings has a better reputation in the legal world than UC Davis. No doubt on this one.

Both schools are great.

If I had to choose between the two, I would personally go with UC Hastings.

Krisace

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2008, 12:24:05 AM »
Hastings has a better rep than Davis???  Where are you people getting your information?!?

Anyone that knows the reputation of the two schools will tell you that their reps are identical.  I guarantee that NOT ONE person you speak with in the legal community will say that they would take a student from one of these two schools over the other. Anyone that says otherwise isn't working in the legal community.

Hastings has an edge in the quantity of alumni relations, absolutely, since it's a bigger school.

Meanwhile actually connecting with a Davis alum will do more for you as it truly is a much more tight-knit environment and with fewer student pestering the fewer alums, alums are going to be more willing to help out.

Both schools place approximately 25% of their matriculating 3L's into BigLaw every year. And yes, this is placement almost entirely in SF and LA.  The remainder of the studentbody can pretty much go whereever they want in CA and be at the highest level for jobs open in the market. Hastings students are not confined to the Bay Area and Davis students are not at all confined to the Bay Area or Sacramento (the ones that end up in Sac. go there because they choose to - not by default).

A decision between the schools should be based on where one wants to live for three years, how competetive of an atmosphere one wants (Davis is very laid back) and whether it is important to be at a school connected to an undergraduate campus which has much to offer or annoy.

Just my two cents.